Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently my rat ashleigh was ill, she had to be given antibiotics for by surgine to the mouth for 10 days and then the day after she had finished the antibiotics she had to go into surgery to have a tumor removed. So she went from being handled with a little force to get the antibiotics into her to then not being handled much for two days after surgery. So she took to biting me when i would go to pick her up and i seemed to be out of fear. She would never bite hard it was mostly her putting her teeth round my finger and a tiny pinch with her teeth before she would run off and freeze. anyway i gave done a lot of work to get her out of this and she no longer freezes and lets me stroke her. however she still puts her mouth/teeth round my finger but no biting and sometimes she nibbles at my hair as well. This behave isn't causing me any trouble but i rather she didn't do it.
Any idea's of how to train her out of this without scolding her as she just become frightened when i tell her off and i have only just got back to a trusting relationship with my rat.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Rats are smart, and she can learn the difference from right and wrong. If she does something naughty, hold her in front of your face and sat 'No' - not shouting, but more like a firm teacher/parent type of voice. Sort of how you would tell a toddler not to do something. Then put her back and continue what you were doing before she was naughty. She should get the picture eventually if you are consistent with your training. She might be a bit scared right now but you need to nip the biting in the butt so to speak, and establish some leadership or she will start to think she can get away with whatever she wants. Think of yourself as the parent and her as the child, and don't be afraid to set some rules :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, this seems like a great idea and its worth giving it a try. Hopefully it should work because i want the loving rat i had for a year back now.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Lots of cuddles and praise for her too and hopefully she will come round soon. I had a wee boy who was acting up and getting a bit grumpy and squeaky, and I've been giving him lots of scratches when he is relaxed and sleepy - really seems to be helping his behaviour. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts