Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, when i stick my firngers near/in the cage, the girls lick them, try to get me to pet them etc, when i put my face near the cage they groom my eyebrows and try to steal and stash my braces, kisses etc. the other day when i wasn't home my stepmom went up to feed them, she stuck her finger in and started to pet ozzy, ozzy looked at her, then let out a huge MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!! lunged at her and bit her! then last night my dad stuck his finger to the bars, ozzy lunged with her front arms out (which looked quite funny) grabbed hold and tried to attack him, then did it again! then i put my face up to the cage to see if she would do it to me, she came over and groomed my eyebrows and gave me kisses! is she just person specific, only likes one person?

she has never been like this, she is usually very kind towards new people, she didn't break my stepmom's skin, but it scared the heck out of her, which probably scared ozzy, how can i get her out of the habit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm sorry, but that MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!! thing sounds really funny.
I don't know if it works with rats, but when I had budgies (some years ago) my dad would let the biety one nibble on his finger and say, "ow ow ow!" and eventually the bird quit.
I guess you just have to be in control and try not to yank your hand away too quickly. Maybe is you let out a squeak to show it hurt? I dunno.
My sister's little hamster thing will attack you if you try to pick her up in her cage, but if she's out she's a nice hamster. (I'm still afraid to hold it ><)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hamsters are the devil. >_>;; I've been bitten by so many of them at work, I don't even bother risking holding the supposedly "nice" ones. If I need to pick them up I turn over their igloos and scoop them up that way.

But as for rats, I had wondered if they choose favorites or not. Seems they do. :?
You could have your family offer them their favorite treat, and spend some more time with them talking in a kind, gentle voice, so they begin to see they're part of the mischief too. I don't know if letting them bite and bite and bite (wearing gloves, of course) until they realize they don't hurt you, would work as well as being nice to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts