Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I got the girls I took them to the vet and had them checked up just to make sure they were healthy.

Since then I have weighed them every couple of weeks and ensured they are eating right etc.

I went away for a week and left the girls with my parents. I picked them up last night and everything seemed well. Same with this morning.

This evening I got home and as soon as the girls came out of their cage I could hear Nim sneezing. It is constant.

Her other behaviour is fine and my parents said they saw her eating when they had her.

Should I panic? Is this rat flu or could this just be a ratty sniffle that will go away?

Ace is fine, it's only Nim.

·
Registered
61 Posts
She might just be reacting to being moved from environment to environment. Rats will often sneeze when they're around new smells, go from one place to another, or have a change in bedding. I would give it a day or two, if she's still sneezing constantly, take her into the vet. It very well could be the beginning of a upper respiratory infection. URIs are easily treated with a round of antibiotics, especially if you catch them early. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to have settled. I am making her a heat pack for tonight and hopefully all will be well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. Just keep an eye on it! I hope all goes well for you guys. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts