Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, Nimbus has some sort of episode 2 weeks after his bit with pneumonia. Vet says maybe stroke, maybe PT. X-rays show nothing. He has definite nurological damage, he's been off balance ever sense. The shortest description I can give is that he's functioning perfectly fine in the health sense but is an emotional and social vegtable. (My heart has been hurting) He's not biting or getting mean, just eats drinks and stares.

Loki who was not as social is now super cuddly. He's constantly following me now and falling asleep in my lap. He seems to be pestering Nimbus to play and as time has been going on he's been getting lethargic. I'm trying to spend as much time with Loki as possible but I'm not a replacement for a constant companion.

What should I do? My heart is breaking and I want to do best by the both of them. Should I look into getting Loki a companion?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It does sound like he's had a stroke or similar neurological problem. I would possibly think hard about his quality of life. I dont like keeping rats going when they dont have any joy left, but it is a hard decision to make. Regardless i do think its worth gettgin loki a friend, or even better a pair of babies to move in. At some point Nimbus will pass (wether you help or not) and this way you are prepared with friends already established.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See... this is the weird thing. He's not in pain, and I know he can feel and will react because he squeaks when Loki tries to play. He can move freely if not a bit slower. Everything else is functioning even better then normal. He's even breathing better then he ever has. If you never knew him he would seem like a normal un-socialized rat. We were hoping he would bounce back but its been a month. I just taught him how to come to treats again.

As far as babies, I would love that but realistically I've been working 12hrs a day and will continue to do so till the end of Dec. I don't think it would be fair to the babies. I would like to spend lots of time with them, while Loki and Nimbus can be trusted with passive supervision babies will need to be watched constantly until trained. Also I worry about Quarantine, being Nimbus will probably won't be healthy healthy ever again.

Loki is pretty chill, though has never met another rat. Would a rescue be possible?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
potentially though they may be a little rougher. If you could find a neutered male or spayed girl it would be the easiest intro other than babies. woth Nimbus being not right i wouldn't want to expose him to a harsh intro.

If he's improving then you may get some of him back. You could also try steroids, it might be a bit late now bit they help improve recovery from strokes, the earlier the better though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.