Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm new to the ratties, but they are so much fun! :)

We've had our little babies (5-6 week old cuties) for 4 days now, and they LOVE crawling all over the place. As soon as I get to their cage, all of them are clambering to get out and explore. They'll go down my shirt, all over my shoulders, nibble on my hair sometimes, eat treats occasionally from our hands, and generally learn about this big world.

BUT each and every one of them is NIPPY!!! They arn't biting, they aren't scared... But those teeth go around my fingers every time I go near them! And Blaze just did it out of the blue on the webbing by my thumb! This is driving me bonkers since I got bit time and time again when I was about 5 or 6 by my hampster that I remember as hating me (tho my mom thinks he was nice... yeah... sure. I was 5 with a rodent). So I get juumpy when teeth get placed on my flesh.

Any ideas? I think they are happy as clams, but I want to make sure that I do well by them, you know?

Anyways, I'm about to go brace myself for some more play time with my plethera of furry girls... (all the girls from the dumbo litter of a reputable pet store that breeds them FOR PETS and sells them at an appropriate price for it... We're friends with the owners so we paid for one and got the rest for free - they had a BIG litter of close to 20!) OK, explaination over, PLAY TIME!

~Krystie :mrgreen:

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are "testing" you.
If it's just small little nibbles, that don't hurt, then it's because you are new and wonder what your hands are.
All of my girls have done this to me when I first had them. I would put my hand in the cage balled in a fist and they would nibble my knuckles, maybe putting abit more pressure on as they nibbled (but never hard enough to draw blood yet alone break the skin), everytime they did this I would EEK! at them...My newest girl, Mavis, learnt I didn't like her nibbling me after a day or two and she soon stopped it.

If you put your fist in for them to sniff at, don't jerk away if they go to nibble your knuckles - and if they do nibble, as I said, eek! at them this will warn them that you don't like it.

:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll see how the kits do with that. THey are having so much fun - two had a tiny spat about who was in line first for getting out to play! HA!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
mine tend to manicure the rougher skin they find around the cuticle or on my knuckles

could be they are just showing you love by grooming you

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got the same problem with my new baby, he's a biter! The eeps seem to be doing the trick though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts