Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4.5 month old BEW Mola has taken to nipping me... Most of the time, I don't think it's purposeful... like when she's trying to steal a baby wipe from me or when I smell like food... However, this morning, I tried to take her out of the critter pod to give her some antibiotics and she full on nipped my pinky. I yelped and pushed my hand towards her and she nipped again (but more lightly). She let go when I made an angry rat noise. She barely broke skin and didn't draw any blood, but man, that hurt. She eventually came out when I started handing out baby puffs to everyone. Usually if I can point her body towards an exit and get her 2 front paws out, she'll come out... but today, she just didn't seem to want to.
Is there any way that I can quickly get her out of the critter pod? Food takes a bit too long to get her out and I just need to get her meds into her. My mornings are rather hectic and I don't really have time to persuade a cranky rat. I'm making time to do an immersion with her this weekend, but I honestly don't know if that'll curb the nipping.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Immersion will help. It sounds like she's trying to be dominant over you. The bites are warnings to leave her alone. The best way to curb it is to firmly bop her nose and tell her no when she puts teeth on you and then to continue what you were doing undeterred. For example, it sounds like this morning she said no to medicine an being woken up. So ignore that and get her out. When you continue what you were doing, also make a point of ending it with a bit of skritches to reward her for listening (even if she didn't want to).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright... Though, it's hard to bop a rat on the nose in such a small space, lol. But that's essentially what I've been doing. I'll set Saturday aside for an immersion session then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts