Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mischief is growing within the next two weeks by double, I currently have four well adjusted boys. 2 feeder bin ratties and 2 I adopted from a rescue.

The rescue I got my two boys {Kevin & Espo} from posted two rats needing help, They are full and couldn't take them so I decided to take on the challenge. I agreed to take the two dumbo boys without reading the entire listing I guess because the rescue informed me that one of the boys has become "nippy" per the owner. I go to pick them up tomorrow evening around 4pm.

Any suggestions on getting the little dude to come around?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
To be honest, rats respond differently to different people and different situations. The rat may have been nippy towards his previous owner and may not be towards you or he might be worse....

Basically when you meet the new rats see if they are something you can handle, if not you really shouldn't take them home. If you can handle them then start socializing them properly as soon as you get them home and then play it by ear...

Best luck.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is he nippy at people or other rats? I had a really nippy rat named Mocha that was so bad I thought I'd have to get rid of her. Every time she'd bite me, I'd squeal in pain as much like a rat as I could and then she would instantly lose her playtime privlege by being put back in the cage. Eventually she learned that as long as she didn't bite, she'd get the fun stuff with the others like playtime and treats.

I don't know if I handled it right but it worked. Maybe it'll work for this little guy. Here's the thing though... YOU don't have him yet. He might take to you better than the other owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts