Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had two rats for about a week and a half. They're adorable, which is to be expected of rats who are about 7 and 8 weeks old.

The older one is doing fine. She has great bowel control and never poops when we're playing with her. She goes in the cage. We even caught her pooping in the litter boxes we set up. It's great.

The younger one needs help. She doesn't seem to care where she poops. She's pooped in the igloo where she sleeps. She seems to do well enough to not poop near the food or the water, but she also doesn't spend a lot of time there. She goes to the food to grab a brick and hoard it in the igloo. Come to think of it, that means she poops where she eats too. Since she has no control in the cage, we cannot trust her not to poop on people or on us. We hold her with a towel underneath. I had the joy of the older one finding refuge under my shirt and scurrying all around. I couldn't trust the younger one to do that.

So this isn't even about potty training, though that'd be nice too. I just want her to control herself better, but I have no idea how to do that.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think you may find that as she gets a bit older she'll start controlling herself better. But, all rats are different, so you never know. How does she act towards you and other people? If she's nervous then the pooping might just be a response to that and the same with the taking food into her hut and pooping there. As she warms up to her new home and people this may become less of an issue. Honestly, I'd just be happy that she's not stress pooping (soft and stinky) on you at this point lol that's the worst.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's friendly enough. She doesn't wriggle quite as badly when I pick her up. She's realizing that being picked up is not the end of the world. She seems to want to go back to the cage.

I had one incident last night where I was laying on the couch with a towel on my belly. She was trying to head toward the cage, and I put my hands in front of her where she tries to nuzzle past. Then she not only pooped but she peed as well, which she has not done since we first got her. I'm starting to wonder if maybe she wanted to get back to the cage to relieve herself. Maybe she knew. Or maybe I'm being too hopeful.

She's always a bit whiny, even when held close to us. She's also only 7 weeks old. I read somewhere that 5 weeks is pretty young for a rat, which was the age we got her. So, patience, I suppose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts