Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rats do breed in winter, don't they? I had always assumed they do. Anyway last week one of my rats died :( so today I went to all the usual pet stores I know for a replacement and all their rat cages were empty. They always had rats before, and now nothing. Maybe there's just a big demand for rats at this time of year? Although I'm not sure they'd be a popular Valentine's Day gift. :lol:

-MT

·
Registered
327 Posts
yikes... best watch that they didnt have some contageous disease and had to get rid of them all, might be a good idea to ask but would they tell you.. hmmm i think not!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've noticed no rats as well (I live in Chicago).
All the petcos, petsmarts, and small shops seem to be missing rats.
They may still be in demand because of all the rat movies that have been out. However, I'd suggest looking into getting a rat from a rattery or rescue- that way you're more sure of their health status, age, temperment, socialization, etc and won't end up with a litter of rats if you choose a girl.
Local animal shealters sometimes have rats too. A lot of shealters may put a rat down sooner than other animals so rescue is always a wonderful thing to do.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats breed year round, especially the rather uncouth breeders who often stock pet stores. Try checking humane societies or rescues. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I live in the Louisville, KY area, and our PetSmart was out of rats yesterday, as well. There had been abou 5-6 the week before. They said that, in this area anyways, Ratatouille has made them a very popular pet and they can't even keep them "in stock." Makes you wonder how many impulse buys there were. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
ledzepgirl16 said:
They said that, in this area anyways, Ratatouille has made them a very popular pet and they can't even keep them "in stock." Makes you wonder how many impulse buys there were. :(
Its been like that everywhere, really. I'm just surprised that its lasting this long. I thought there might be a lot of impulse buys around the opening of the movie but people just keep buying them up.
My local shealter has had TONS of rats lately (luckily they do NOT euthinize there) after years of not having a single rat. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I went into my local petstore two weeks ago and they had tons of pregnant rats because they take in rescues and someone had kept males and females together to be feeders. So I guess they do mate in those conditions.

However I went back last weekend and they're weren't very many. I didn't have time to ask questions, I'm going this weekend to get a rat though so maybe I'll get some more answers

·
Registered
229 Posts
There was an animal-cruelty issue with a large pet store vendor not too long ago (Petsmart's biggest supplier of animals), and I think everyone who receives animals from them halted orders while the vendor's practices were investigated. That could be why there are no rats. Ask if they get their animals from Rainbow Exotics.

I'd suggest checking Petfinder or Craigslist for rats in need of new homes. :3

·
Registered
323 Posts
hmmmm......thats very odd. I thought rats breed year round......maybe it WAS a very popular Valentines gift. lol

I am sorry for the loss of one of you little ratty friends. He will be other at the rainbow bridge waitng for you, and in the meantime he will be playing with other ratties.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, I live in Memphis TN and I've also noticed that there haven't been very many rats in Petco, at least. I went the other day and there were only about 2 boys, and 3 girls I think. Usually, (and unfortunately, bc they're kept in aquariums that are too small for the amount they have in there!) there are QUITE a few ratties in there!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread...

This is the Year of the Rat, so with that said the purchase rates for pocket pets has skyrocketed in many areas. Retailers are also raising prices since demands have gone up.

It was also noted that sales shot up dramatically after the release of Ratatouille.

My fear is that all of these impulse purchases will have devastating results on these pets after the novelty wears off.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My fear is that all of these impulse purchases will have devastating results on these pets after the novelty wears off.
I share your fears. At first, I thought Ratatouille would be great exposure for pet rats then I realized that more people would impulse adopt a rat, and either 1. not take care of it properly or 2. discover it's too much work and return them. :( sigh

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went to Petco where I live on Saturday they had four tanks filled with rats---although I don't know how they breathe in those glass tanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think it's great that these movies make people more interested in rats. They often have such an undeservedly bad reputation. I think people who adopt rats will have to fall in love with them! They are the best pets I can think of.

And yeah, they do breed year round. I'm raising to litters (started at the pet store) at the moment. Wish you could come and adopt one of my cuties...;) I'm still looking for good homes for them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not everyone falls in love with rats. My Lola is proof of that. Just like not everyone fell in love with Dalmatians after the movie 101 Dalmatians, the shelters really filled up after that one.

But I'm sure at least a small number of people will be changed for the better after their impulse buy, and hopefully they'll educate themselves and give those rats good lives after all.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
after the movie 101 Dalmatians, the shelters really filled up after that one.
After the 101 Dalmatians movie the popularity of this dog did spike to record levels... because of this breeders were pumping out as many as they could in order to rake in the financial benefit of the novelty/impulse shoppers. Because of this specific practices in breeding that ensure a quality pet were crossed & many inferior examples of this breed were put out in population. Over bred lines, lines to closely related & less than quality animals were producing the puppies needed to keep up with the demand for as long as it was out there. Many of these dalmatian puppies that were put out there for sale by unqualified breeders were deaf, at high risk for physical ailments (high rates of dysplasia & urinary/bladder/kidney issues) & hyperactivity.

It is never a good thing to prompt people to make choices in a pet based on the trend, novelty or what they are seeing on the big screen. The pet they are falling for is not what they will receive in reality. How many rats help you cook? Just how much good fortune will befall you because of the fuzzy critter you keep in a cage in your home?

People who do not research their pet of choice prior to obtaining it often find themselves overwhelmed with that icky thing that most don't wish to face... REALITY! In reality, you are not going to buy that highly trained & disciplined pet you see on TV or at the movies... that takes years of education on the part of the human & years of application toward the animal to achieve that level of responsiveness. You can't just get an animal & think, if I love it & feed it, it will do everything I want it to do.

Heck that don't even work with humans. You can't love something or someone enough in order to get it to love you back in the way you want it to.

I am sure that there will be a huge surge of new pocket pet owners coming up this year. They are going to have the pet in hand long before they even have a clue as to how to care for it... much less care for it properly. Pocket pets are notorious for being the quick cheap fix with many adults who wish to satisfy a child who bugs them with the " I want a puppy/kitty/whatever". They figure they can get out cheap ($5 or $10 bucks) toss it in a 10 gallon aquarium that you can buy for another $5 to $10 bucks & pour in a bowl of seed that runs about another $5 or $10 bucks for 5 pounds-plus... shred up yesterday's newspaper & ALLAHKAZAAAAM... the kid isn't begging for that $1000 puppy anymore.

How many of these critters end up fertilizing the begonias in the back yard?

They aren't so lucky as to end up in a shelter... why oh why would this parent drive across town, fill out paperwork, possibly pay a surrender fee of $20 or more & all of that over a $5 dollar pet? Psshhfft... if they had bought a gold fish instead of a rat they could have flushed it down the drain.

Harsh eh?

Here comes that word so many wish to avoid... REALITY

All we can do is educate as many people as we can about the responsibility of pet ownership. That starts at home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts