Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time adults bring their little kids over to my house they ask if they can hold the rats. If the kids want to hold the rats I make them sit down with a towel, then I give them my calmest most mellow rat, currently that is Momma Maisy. Then the kid starts to complain that they don't want to hold Momma, that they want to hold either Ross or Maple. That is when I firmly tell them No, because while Ross would never bite someone that she knows, she is a more skittish rat and may nip if someone holds her a bit too tightly, and Maple is still a little baby which makes her extremely squirmy. THEN the parent turns around and starts asking if their child can PLEASE hold Ross, because she looks really cute, and the parent PROMISES that their kid will be careful. :mad: It is usually at that point that I say, "Ok, rat time is over, let's put the rats away."

Why can't people just respect my rules?:mad:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Every time adults bring their little kids over to my house they ask if they can hold the rats. If the kids want to hold the rats I make them sit down with a towel, then I give them my calmest most mellow rat, currently that is Momma Maisy. Then the kid starts to complain that they don't want to hold Momma, that they want to hold either Ross or Maple. That is when I firmly tell them No, because while Ross would never bite someone that she knows, she is a more skittish rat and may nip if someone holds her a bit too tightly, and Maple is still a little baby which makes her extremely squirmy. THEN the parent turns around and starts asking if their child can PLEASE hold Ross, because she looks really cute, and the parent PROMISES that their kid will be careful. :mad: It is usually at that point that I say, "Ok, rat time is over, let's put the rats away."Why can't people just respect my rules?:mad:
People can't respect rules because they are idiots who want instant gratification and that everything fits their wishes instead of thinking about the situation and its consequences. Many people don't like to think about consequences before taking actions or just think "we'll see when whatever comes true" or "maybe I'll get lucky". I commend you for being responsible, knowing your rats so well, and staying firm. Not that many people would have stand their ground like you.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I hate it when people can't obey my rules regarding my pets it is annoying!

How old are the kids?

my niece and nephew come over alot and love to play with my rats. I always have one sex or the other running around the rat room so they just go in and play with them. My nephew is 9 and really loves the rats and always picking them up and carrying them around.

I have a girl who will nip toes. Idk what it is about toes lol and my girl Dany will bite, she isn't aggressive she just has issues and will bite for attention. I am working on it but meh. I warn them to keep an eye out and watch her. They have been nipped a few times lol

They do really well listening and it has taught them alot. How they have to be gentle and respect the animal. But omg do my rats love the kids, mostly as they give them lots of treats lol The kids get swarmed.

Forever ago when I had my first rats I would let my 2 year old niece play with them. I'd put them on the bed and let them run around and she would lay down. She loved it! The rats loved her. One time Willow lept out of the cage and onto her shoulder. It was a crazy leap lol We were all shocked!

It is hard, not all kids are the same and any that can't follow rules should not be trusted. But for real the parents should always be on your side

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm not really surprised to hear that their mom tried to chide you into letting them hold the other rats.

Have you looked around lately at the parenting that is going on lately?

Kids these days get away with stuff I would have lost every single priviledge over, permanently! In college, I drove a school bus for a while. Most of the kids on my route were horrible examples of todays youth! They do something against the rules, they get written up. Parents call and blame me for making their kid jump and run around the bus while I'm driving down the highway! That happened over and over over!

The only effective way I found to get those kids to behave was not by talking calmly, writing them, calling parents or losing my temper. What worked was to stop the bus, going no where until they all sat down and behaved. They ended up policing each other because the one acting up was keeping them from going home!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Horrible parenting coupled with kids wanting instant gratification and more often than not getting it. It is like many parents believe that strict parenting would somehow make their kids less successful at life because it restricts their imagination/creativity or some BS like that. Someone once explained it to me and it was so messed up that I don't remember exactly her logic (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
860 Posts
I was in the grocery store a few weeks ago. I was looking peanuts or something when a kid asked their mom if they could have something, really demanded something. The mom said no. I actually watch the kid, probably about 10 years old, take a really deep breath and start screaming his head off.

Mom gave him what he wanted so he would shut it!

Lazy parents and spoiled kids. I never thought I'd ever sound like my grand parents when they asked, "What is this world coming to?"

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Most kids are like that. The apple doesn't far from the tree though. I honestly think that the way the parent behaves is the way the kid is going to behave unless they have a disability of some sort. I completely understand the I want to hold that one. When my cousins come over it is always I want this rat and this guinea pig. When I tell them they can't have that one (usually gus who looks the cutest but is the most skittish) they complain. It get really annoying so like you I usually put the rats away.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know someone whos kid held a rat so tightly that the rat died a couple hours later.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know someone whos kid held a rat so tightly that the rat died a couple hours later.
Thats horrible. I guess I will have to watch even more closly now. I can't belive that would happen.

·
Registered
860 Posts
One time, I took in ladies cat that her grandson hit repeatedly on the head with a base ball bat. The lady thought she wasn't right in the head. As it turns out, she was just terrified!

I've had kids chase my animals around even when I've explained that they are not used to kids, and the parent did absolutely nothing to stop the kid.

The last time this happened, I followed the kid running to the back of my house. I picked him and carried him back to his mom. Looking at her, I said to the kid, "I think you need stay with your mom." His mom was so dense, she didn't understand what was going on. I told her through gritted teeth that she caught me in the middle of a project and I needed to get back to it.

It still took forever to get her out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
So horrible and heart breaking. Hopefully it was an accident and the kid didn't intentionally hurt the rat:(
Well I'm sure in most cases children don't mean to do harm and are genuinely sorry but this kid in particular has some.... serious behavioural issues. She would likely do it again and show no remorse. And doesn't help that her parents brush everything off like its nothing. To give you an idea off how bad it is, she bit a chunk out of some kids leg and the parents brushed it off like it was nothing. Now what worries me is she has asked my mum if she could play with my rats when I wasn't home and she isn't use to being told no because parents fear what will hapen if they do. Which makes worried that she might give in one day when I'm not home. Hopefully I've made it clear enough that under no circumstances is she to go into my room. Ever.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Whoa is that kid a relative? If you know when she comes, put a lock on your cage. Would she go as far as to try to poison your rats? She sounds evil. I hope your rats will stay safe. How old is she?

·
Registered
994 Posts
No, shes my neighbours relative. I think she has a behavioural disorder but the parents complete lack of discipline makes 100x worse. Shes roughly 7-8

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'd stick a couple zip ties on the cage if I knew she was in town. Although, I wouldn't worry about poisoning at that age.

...there are no "evil" eight year olds. Just ones who were never disciplined or corrected. Most kids would technically be considered sociopaths until age six since their ability to empathize is minimal. Empathy is a learned skill that even some adults never pick up on. ED kids need extra, ummmmm, guidance. If I was her mother, I'd look into joining a support group for parents of emotionally disturbed or cognitively disabled children. Might help them deal with some of her anger issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Honestly I HATE other people's children. Especially the parents who do not teach themselves or their booger nosed little fuckheads to respect, research and understand that animals have life before adopting it. My cousin's dog is severely depressed, you can see it from miles away! and the only thing he gets fed is scraps and bones and stale dog food, his mom got angry at me once for telling her not to feed him, ((((a living breathing creature)))))) moldy meat and she slapped me?????? oh my lord she was so lucky she was pregnant at the time. Luckily a neighbor loves and feeds him, takes him to the vet and everything his owners dont do. Just because it's "cute" as a newborn doesn't mean you should get it for your ungrateful kid. "It" has feelings. It has a stomach.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Honestly I HATE other people's children. Especially the parents who do not teach themselves or their booger nosed little fuckheads to respect, research and understand that animals have life before adopting it. My cousin's dog is severely depressed, you can see it from miles away! and the only thing he gets fed is scraps and bones and stale dog food, his mom got angry at me once for telling her not to feed him, ((((a living breathing creature)))))) moldy meat and she slapped me?????? oh my lord she was so lucky she was pregnant at the time. Luckily a neighbor loves and feeds him, takes him to the vet and everything his owners dont do. Just because it's "cute" as a newborn doesn't mean you should get it for your ungrateful kid. "It" has feelings. It has a stomach.
On my, so sorry. Poor dog. Don't be sorry, someone who saw things like that can't be too harsh in her description of the situation .

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I'd stick a couple zip ties on the cage if I knew she was in town. Although, I wouldn't worry about poisoning at that age. ...there are no "evil" eight year olds. Just ones who were never disciplined or corrected. Most kids would technically be considered sociopaths until age six since their ability to empathize is minimal. Empathy is a learned skill that even some adults never pick up on. ED kids need extra, ummmmm, guidance. If I was her mother, I'd look into joining a support group for parents of emotionally disturbed or cognitively disabled children. Might help them deal with some of her anger issues.
Empathy is a learned skill but there is a genetic predisposition to be a sociopath. If someone has a genetic predisposition on being a sociopath and on top of that doesn't get any training in empathy, well that isn't going to turn well at all. However, some people are truly unable to feel empathy because their brains are wired differently. It is very interesting actually.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts