Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step dog visited today and he is going to spend a lot of time at my house when his parents are at work. So we let him sniff Noah through the cage. Harley was an angel but Noah slapped him through the cage and tried to bite him. We thought maybe he just thinks were slipping him a huge treat. Because we feed him through the bars. So I took Noah out and Harley gave Noah a big kiss. Noah again tried to bite his nose. I was holding Noah and Harley tried to give Noah his paw and Noah bit his paw. Noah was not afraid at all. I know he always goes after books, magazines, laptops, game systems when I’m using them. Whenever I try to do anything besides give him attention he gets jealous. He really seems to want my full attention to himself. I would love to get an English Bull dog and a hairless rat but with Noah’s attitude I don’t think I will be able to. Anyone else have a jealous rat? Did they rat ever overcome his jealousy?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think Noah make it quite clear he's not a dog-loving rat. There's really no reason to force him to interact with a dog. He may see the dog as a predator, or he may just not want to interact with him. No reason for him to, since he's caged.

Don't think that Noah's reaction to a dog will set the course for another rat. It's a TOTALLY different thing, here. Different species, etc.

If Noah hadn't been an only rat, he probably wouldn't demand your attention all of the time as he does. As it is now, you are taking the place of another rat (as much as possible, anyhow). He relies on you for companionship at this point. It's not that he's jealous, really. It's that you've taught him, in a way, to need to rely on you for attention. That's one of the many reasons rats NEED other rats, they are extremely social animals.

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]lol, silly Noah. He might just be a loner rat. Since he attacks things it makes me wonder. Loner rats are out there. If Noah doesn't seem depressed, gets a lot of attention, has lots of toys, then I'm sure he is living happily. Rats will tell you through their actions if they need a friend (acting depressed) or if they would rather be alone (being highly aggressive to other rats even after proper intro).[/align]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Noah, Noah, Noah.. Hasn't your mother ever taught you not to bite strangers? ;)

Anyways, I couldn't imagine any other rat like Noah. The way he gets jealous of things, it kind of reminds me of when my mom had a Chihuahua who got jealous of my cousin (when she was a baby) and bit her as a result. I agree with Kimmiekins that he's dependant on you for attention, but I also agree with Twilight that he seems happy with his life. That is, happy as long as you're there and not paying attention to something else besides him.

Some rats out there wont like dogs, and others will. It depends on the individual Rat-patootie's personality... But definitely get your future hairless rat a friend. That will make them more confident, and therefor more likely to befriend a dog. :3

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Definetly agree with the above post. Also, you won't really know unless you try to *properly* introduce a rat to Noah, if he would accept a friend. But that means if he doesn't you will have a rat that needs a friend. So one becomes three. :wink:[/align]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He seems happy. Allways boggling, bruxing, wagging his tail. He gets loads of attation and afection from my grandparents too. Sometimes I will walk in in my room and my grandma will be rocking him like a baby or giving him a massage. He has toys all over the place. And cages for each level of the house. Then he has his carrying case and his travel cage. Its rare that I will go to a store and not bring him back something. We tried the pea bobbing the other day. Noah is too smart for his own good. He kept cheating. He pretend to bob but sneakly swiped the pea with his paw. He did it so quick I didnt see it. But my grandmother who was viewing from a diffrent direct thought she saw him do it. We had to watch really close to catch him. He has everyone wraped around his tiny finger. I cant belive he is one year old aready. I know one thing he is not going to be happy about. He is getting his tail washed tommorw to look good for the guests. I cant wait for Noah to open his stocking and unwrap his presents.
Happy Holidays I may not be on in awhile.

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Noah has quite the personality it seems. :D Happy Holidays to you as well! What a spoiled rattie he is.[/align]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I certainly know there are loner rats. :) I have 3 in the rescue split up due to bloody fights (though they are to be neutered and we will attempt to re-introduce them). I also had a singleton of my own who passed recently, but I did not consider him one UNTIL we had multiple failed intros.

Most don't like to assume a rat IS a singleton unless they've had faild intros. Because, despite it all, rats DO need other rats... At least all but the rare few. And even neuters can turn loner rats into friendly friends.

Humans can not take the place of another rat. Can not.

Just sayin'. I've had a lot of experience with agressive rats (both my own, and the rescues), and there's no hard and fast rule that all will not be able to have friends. Heck, I've had loners come in, and we have them paired up with a friend in weeks. Even the happiest loner rat shines with friends.

I'm just saying... Don't assume it won't work until you try. There's no way to know, otherwise. Don't discount it until you know. Noah could make a complete turn around with a friend. In fact, his behavior that makes you think he's jealous? Could disappear with a friend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Well I'm all for the op getting a rat for Noah, so long as she's aware she could end up with 3 if Noah refuses to get along. But if she likes just having Noah I think thats great too since he's giving all the signs that he is happy. :) [/align]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to have another rat myself. I just have to convince the other humans and Noah. He is happy though. I know if he wasnt showing signs of being happy my family would get him a friend but they arent worried and the vet is not worried so looks like Im not getting my hairless any time soon.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i think that's the point. at least i always figured it was. it's like those obnoxious (but so wonderful) lolcat pictures where the caption reads something delightful like "i'm in ur computerz, reading yur ratforumz". XD

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I love reading about Noah - what a rat! :D

As for loner rats - my sister's rat Bella is like that. It's not that she doesn't get along with other rats, she's been living very peacefully with my bunch since September. But she's mostly just indifferent to the others. She sleeps by herself, doesn't seek them out for anything, and her personality hasn't changed a bit since she's been with them. She prefers humans to rats, and is happiest when she's with people. I used to encourage my sister to get a friend for Bella after they gave Sakura to me (she was too much "trouble" for them - shy, scared, and an escape artist), but now I think she'll be just fine on her own. Just my experience with that ^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts