Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its finally getting cold down here in texas and since my parents are money saving fanatics they dont turn the heater on. Now i have my own personal heater in my room but thats only on when im home. So to help my girls stay warm i went and bought a fleece bed. Well... they tore through that in one night....

Anyone know of a good bed brand that will last more than one night?
Or whats your solution to keeping rats warm through winter?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I zip tie plastic baskets to my cage and fill them with fleece scraps. They get underneath the fleece and make a little nest if they are feeling the chill. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
My rats have an igloo and a bunk bed hammock. I give them scraps of fleece and cardboard boxes, and they tear up the box and use it to line the inside of the hammock and igloo. Basically, I just give them nesting material and let them figure out how they want to use it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can fashion them a little heat pack from a sock filled with rice that is microwaved. I do not know how good you are at sewing, but if you do know how to sew, it really opens up the amount of options you have in making your rats things to keep them warm. Thing like pouches and cubes make for good sleeping places and you can make them with extra padding to provide warmth using cotton batting. On a particularly cold day, I will throw in a whole quarter of a yard of fleece onto one of their levels (on top of the liners) and they will sleep under it. Make sure that either fleece scraps or kitchen/toilet paper is available for them to shred and nest in as that really helps. Another thing you can do is to feed warm foods in between regular meals - a little bit of oatmeal, some baby cereal or cooked pasta for example. You can even boil or steam some veggies and offer this up on a plate. Make sure to test anything you give them first so it isn't too hot!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think bits of fleece and a small space to make a nest is enough to keep rats warm while it is like 20-40 degrees F in a house? Or should I consider buying a little cage heater?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I wouldn't recommend any sort of heating element in or super near to the cage. I use a space heater randomly if it's really cold out (and here in Michigan, during anything besides summer, that's often!), and will point it toward the rat cage, though I keep it 5 feet or more away from them. My rats have lots of hammocks, but I find the best way to keep them toasty warm is fleece scraps! Since I sew hammocks/beds/liners (and line them all with fleece), I generate a lot of random fleece scraps. I just stuff all the hammocks and hidey houses with them. You can find fleece super cheap, especially at Joann Fabrics, where generally one sort of fleece is always on sale, plus there's a remnant bin where fleece will be even more discounted!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I doubt your parents keep your house that cold unless you don't have running water. That is pipe bursting cold. Less than 60 is pretty uncommon in any house. I think that some fleece to snuggle with is fine for any weather indoors in tx, even when the heat isn't on.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
20F is definitely too cold for them, regardless of scraps. Are they in a garage? Outside?

The absolute lowest for rats is in the 50s. It is not good to keep them at temperatures below freezing! I sincerely hope this was an error ... As other people pointed out,this will burst the pipes in your house... If it is cold enough to make ice in your house by leaving a glass of water out without a freezer, then you know it is that cold.

My rats tolerated temperatures of about 50 F when my heating wasn't working properly, but they were not happy at all. I gave them a hide out/ boxes with scraps and they cuddled in there, but still they were not pleased.

A space heater is what I have to get me through anything too cold, since my apartment building is really old and I can't control the temperature.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree with what the others have said. And I want to add, if it's true that your parents don't run the heat at all and its 20-40 degrees inside your house, you have the right to call child protective services because that is abuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts