Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rather new to owning rats, tonight my little girl, she's only about two months old, is just sitting on my shoulder, swaying back and forth. I've only had her a few days. I've read that it happens because they have poor eyesight, but I'm a worrier. She's eating, pooping, peeing, no discharge from eyes or nose.

I just wanna make sure I'm doing okay! Hubby says I'm getting worried for nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
She is probably just finding her balance if she's not used to sitting on shoulders. Does she have pink/red eyes? It's been my experience that their eyesight tends to be worse than their black-eyes relatives.

She may also be scenting the air to check for possible dangers, interesting things, sources of food, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's either got black eyes, or really dark red, her sister does have the red eyes, so I'll watch her for that behavior.

We got them on the 8th. I'm hoping they warm up more. We got three, I say we, but it was me, my husband said no, and has now claimed the grey and white girl and she loves him. 🤦🏻‍♀️ He was mad for three seconds until he saw her face and did the grabby hands and played with her for over an hour immediately. Was digging in fridge wanting to know what she could have as a treat. 🤣 And to think I had them hidden in the house for three days before I told him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hahaha, that's it for your husband, he's been claimed! A lifetime of ratty love beckons :D

It will probably be a week or so before they really settle down, and at 2 months old they are still developing their personalities. It's a lovely thing to watch, because they are so individual.

At that age it's relatively straightforward to form a trust bond with them, so keep feeding them healthy treats as a reward for coming out of the cage and coming to your hand or shoulder.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We got three, I say we, but it was me, my husband said no, and has now claimed the grey and white girl and she loves him. 🤦🏻‍♀️ He was mad for three seconds until he saw her face and did the grabby hands and played with her for over an hour immediately. Was digging in fridge wanting to know what she could have as a treat. 🤣 And to think I had them hidden in the house for three days before I told him.
😂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts