Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[video]https://vid.me/UPpJ[/video] I'm aware sneezing/chirping is not good in rats,, though some sneezing is normal when going to a new home.

I've had my two baby females since last Saturday (about 1 week and 2 days now) they didn't seem to sneeze at all in the store and even when I first got them but then started sneezing a few hours after I got them. They were on paper bedding for like 3 hours when I first got them and on fleece ever since.

The sneezing still hasn't stopped and they keep making a teeth chattering noise. The link is above. Does it sound like bruxing or a health problem?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It is sort of hard to tell but I think that you should take them to a vet just to find out. Also new home sneezes should only last up to a week. So that might be an indication of sickness if they are still sneezing.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I listened to it a few times and it's hard for me to tell where the noise is coming from. Taking them to a vet can't hurt.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
She looks happy and those big eyes make me think she is bruxing, BUT there were more sounds that could be clicking/chirping- difficult to say.

ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS of URI? Like porphyrin around eyes/nose? How much does she sneeze? Are you using a laundry detergent with scents/perfume...?

Bring her to your ear "rat phoning" do you hear anything else than just heart beats?

Is she doing those sounds even when you aren't by her cage?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"rat phoned" her and she's making a kind of quiet lip smack/teeth grind noise. hard to describe but she is making a noise but it's in short intervals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On second thought, should there be some noise when she's sniffing my ear? She sounds like she's.. well.. sniffing my ear lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to say she's perfectly healthy but I definitely hear her making noises (although not always, she does make noises quite often.. I don't know how to describe how often, let's just say that they're there) and these noises range from chirpingish to sounds like she's biting something to sneezes and the like. the most common noise she makes is the grinding noise.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Bring her to a vet. That sounds like an URI. Rats are mostly silent. They rarely make any noise other than squeaking in protest when for instance a cage mate is annoying or you inadvertently do something that hurt him/her.

Do you have a rat savvy vet to bring her to?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
i hear bruxing but also some abnormal sounds

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like bruxing and the boggling noise to me. URIs typically have a more obvious clogged nose sound. Like a sort of honking that is in time with their sniffing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No chirping, but still making a teeth chatter noise. I sent the video to a rat rescue with 70+ rats and she thinks it is just bruxing as well. I think their teeth might be over grown but they're only chewing a little on the wood carrot-looking chews

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
my rats don't like the hanging carrot -looking chews either. They orefer to hold the chew pieces in their paws. Keep an eye on her teeth, so much bruxing could mean problems with her teeth like you said. Look for normal rat teeth pics on the web to see if your rat teeth are ok.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine like to those little wooden things you can bend into a tunnel or bridge. Or my end table. :mad:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I took the legs off the couch so they couldn't get under it, so it has no legs for them to chew on. But they have managed to chew up a few corners of the cushions though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't heard a single sneeze since this afternoon. I am having hope that the teeth chattering is actually bruxing though because of overgrown teeth. Can I just shower them in chew toys to get their teeth to wear down or do I need to have a vet fix their teeth?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you sure there is a problem with their teeth? Have compared them with normal rat teeth pics?
No I haven't, I'll try to check when I get home but I imagine they aren't going to like having their mouths pried open lol?

What else do you think it would be if not their teeth? (I know for a fact their nails are too long, lol I'm going to either get more lava ledges or clip them)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
??

How often does everyone here's rats brux? Mine brux every time they see me, is that normal or what's it mean if not

1 - 20 of 27 Posts