Rat Forum banner

Nose bleed? :UPDATED:

3K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Avery1128 
#1 ·
One of my rats nose has dried blood on it. Does anyone know what it could be. I thought maybe it could be porphyrin (or however you spell it :D ) but I'm not sure if porphyrin can come out the nose. Does this happen to lots of rats, because I've never experienced it?

Thanks! :)

#2 ·
Re: Nose bleed?

porphyrin is the same as snot and tears for us. its in their spit as well. our tears are clear, our snot is green and out spit is clear if there is no containments in the mouth. rats just happen to have it all red/pink tinge instead.

as to the cause for a runny nose, its often a first sign of illness or stress. is your rat expressing any other illness symptoms? even if she'he just seems not himself can sometimes be a sign of an illness.

#4 ·
Nose bleed?

Well, now that I think about it, he has changed a bit. He's more scared of people now, and squeaks when you try to pick him up. Do you think he's sick?

I didn't realise he had a bit of dried blood until this afternoon. It's never happened before, and he's never been sick either.

I hope some of this information might help answer some questions.

#8 ·

When he does squeal, it is usually the 'frightened squeal'. It's only when you try to pick him up though. Rarely he goes all jerky when you walk closer to the cage just to check up on him (but as I said this is rarely). He doesn't seem to want to come out of the cage much anymore.

Is something wrong with him? Have I been doing something wrong?

Thanks once again for any advice!

#9 ·

when you pick him up, is it always at the same spot. perhaps he has a sore spot. if this is the case, it could have been caused by an illness or an injury (like a bruise from a fall or rough housing with the his cage mates). how long has he been off? how is is breathing sounding? do you feel any lumps? check him by giving him a good rub all over, watching for sounds or other signs of pain and feeling for lumps. also, put his chest to your ear and have a good listen. what does it sound like?

#10 ·

:UPDATED:

Well, I took two of my rats to see a vet. Unfortunately, one of my rats, Max, has a rare respiritory disease. It can be passed on to other rats, so for the time being, there will be no new additions. Max was a lucky rat for he would've died within the next few weeks, without the anti-biotics the vet gave him. Even more unfortunate, this disease can be controlled, but never cured.

I do feel bad about the whole situation, but these things do happen to rats. I just wish it wasn't mine ..

#11 ·

i've not heard of this before. did the vet give you a name for his disease?

i'm very sorry you have to go through this but i'm sure he loves lots for your care and affections. i hope he's feeling better soon

#12 ·

twitch said:
i've not heard of this before. did the vet give you a name for his disease?

i'm very sorry you have to go through this but i'm sure he loves lots for your care and affections. i hope he's feeling better soon
Yes, but it was such an unusual name, that I can't remember it. Sorry! If this helps, he makes what sounds like clicking noises all the time and you can see clearly his breathing patterns. I was given anti-biotics (called Baytril 25 Oral) to put in their water every second day.

Thank you. I hope he feels better soon too.

#16 ·
Yep sounds like Myco. I know the rare ones and there aren't any that can be controlled like myco.

ALL rats have myco.

Oh and baytril in the water every 2nd day....Not Good. 8O

Any antibiotics in their water is a bad thing. You cannot control the dosages (which is extremely important), the rat often doesn't like the taste and stops drinking which makes a sick rat even weaker, and meds in water can cuase bacteria to grow in the water bottle.

Almost all of us use oral baytril and syringe the proper dose (depending on concentration and the rat's weight) into their mouths or put it in a little food for them to eat.

#17 ·
The vet I went to see said to put it in the water, and I'm not sure whether I could change that. It's supposed to be a light tasting Baytril, so only 2 MLS mixed with 200 MLS (of water) every two days. I'm no expert in rat care so I hope this vet is doing the right thing!

#18 ·
Squeak said:
The vet I went to see said to put it in the water, and I'm not sure whether I could change that. It's supposed to be a light tasting Baytril, so only 2 MLS mixed with 200 MLS (of water) every two days. I'm no expert in rat care so I hope this vet is doing the right thing!
I honestly think this is very wrong. I looked anywhere to see where baytril is used with water and found nothing.

I use a water based solution for my baytril pills. I used 1 cc/ml of this sweetened water to one 50 mg pill. Does the bottle have anything written on it that says ....mg/ml?

Most baytril is reconstituted and then it is only good for 14-21 days.

A course of meds is normally like this:

.2 cc's of baytril orally twice a day for 14-21 days. You really need to be accurate in your doses and your rat would get varying doses depending on how much he drank that day. He cannot get better this way and will most likely build up a tolerance to baytril. :(

Can you call your vet back and mention the ratguide and how its never given in water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.