Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it's happened again. My boy seems to be sneezing/coughing/ so and so. I have no idea what it could be because it's a mixture of things. He seems to sneeze (and so on) and then he'll stop and then he'll sneeze again. The vet confirmed he was healthy only a couple of weeks ago.

Do you guys think he's got a respiratory disease/problem? I'm not sure if he's in pain, his personality is quite the same except now he sleeps more. His age (just in case) is about 9 months.

I haven't noticed any symptoms that may point somewhere except for his sneezing every 4-5 seconds (sometimes longer). Oh yeah, and sometimes when you pick the big fella up, he'll squeak (how do you tell what sort of 'squeak'?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
my boys have URI flare ups all the time. it can definitely be a recurring thing. how long have you had him? remi used to squeak when i tried to pick him up when i first got him. but once he got used to me he was fine. does he always squeak when you pick him up? or just since he has been sneezing?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
try giving him a bit of dark chocolate like cooking chocoate look out for the fat and sugar count ect

this has been known to be good to a rat with respirtory issues

Jess x

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
junior_j said:
try giving him a bit of dark chocolate like cooking chocoate look out for the fat and sugar count ect

Jess x
Really? I've never heard of this idea!

ari .. I've had this guy since he was seven or eight weeks old.

Now that I think about it, he has squeaked on various occasions!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
junior_j said:

Jess x
Sorry junior_j, dark chocolate is only good for a rat having a respiratory attack...it temporarily opens the airways as a bronchodilator...it will not help a rat with a respiratory problem other than this.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Squeak said:
Yep, it's happened again. My boy seems to be sneezing/coughing/ so and so. I have no idea what it could be because it's a mixture of things. He seems to sneeze (and so on) and then he'll stop and then he'll sneeze again. The vet confirmed he was healthy only a couple of weeks ago.

Do you guys think he's got a respiratory disease/problem? I'm not sure if he's in pain, his personality is quite the same except now he sleeps more. His age (just in case) is about 9 months.

I haven't noticed any symptoms that may point somewhere except for his sneezing every 4-5 seconds (sometimes longer). Oh yeah, and sometimes when you pick the big fella up, he'll squeak (how do you tell what sort of 'squeak'?)

Thanks!
Rats rarely cough, is he sneezing and wheezing maybe?

Can you do Rat Phone and let us know what you hear in his lungs?
(Rat Phone = holding side of rat(lungs) to your ear like you would a receiver of a phone). Wait unil they are quiet and listen for crackles, wheezing, gurgles, etc...you should only hear whoosh of air and the heartbeat.

Your 9 month-er sleeps more because he's hitting that slow-down, lazier age for males. Are his eyes bright, appetite good, he drinks normally, coat smooth, no porphyrin, activity levels normal?

I would bed him down on fleece washed with no-scent detergent and see if the sneezing improves. He might have nasal issues (sinuses, allergies) rather than a URI.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It must be a sneeze or a wheeze then.

I just did the 'Rat Phone' and I could hear his heartbeat. Once, there was a little sound of something else, but I'm uncertain whether it was sneezing or whooshing of air.

Bright eyes, appetite seems normal, drinking levels same as always, smooth coat .. ah not so sure about that. Are rough coats a sign of sickness? Will baths possibly make it gradually get smoother or worse? Activity levels is fine except he's slowed down (like you said, is normal).

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
boys have rougher sometimes gunky coats from buck grease. But they should still look healthy if you know what I mean?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know what you mean :D . He looks healthy except for the pee on his back (very kindly scented by his roomie!)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I didn't go looking at other threads you may have started about your rat, figured it was quicker to just ask here.

Start with the bedding. Some rats are allergic to various types of bedding.

Or you have to go through the task of identifying what else could be causing the reaction. Is it something you are doing in the house? Certain perfumes or hair styling products will cause them to sneeze. Cooking smells can cause them to sneeze. It could even be a draft that can make them sneeze.

There are vast numbers of things that can actually promote allergic reactions & you just have to take note as to what is going on when you notice the most frequent sneezing & then see what you can do about keeping them from being exposed to the irritant.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bedding I am on is Yesterday's News. As far as I can tell, it's okay for rats.

There are many things going on in the house. I will start observing when he sneezes most to try to work out the problem. When my sister drops by for a coffee (usually before work) she'll spray on deodorant. Can this maybe have to do with something? My boyfriend also makes cooked dinners. Usually has a lot of smoke (but our apartment is big, not cramped, so it doesn't travel far) and sometimes you can smell spices and such.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
just consider that their smelling is 100's if not 1000's of times more sensitive than humans

when you say you don't smell it that far.. it is true for humans but it could be very intense for them

that deodorant could be an irritant... make sure nothing is being sprayed in their immediate area

When I cook with something peppery I know it causes some sneezing with mine & they are upstairs & on the opposite side of my rather large home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts