Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two little baby rats, feeders that didn't get eaten. It's from where I work, and they don't place live feeders back in with mommy, they leave them in with the snake "just in case" the snake decides it is going to eat it. Too many times have I gone in one day to find a poor little dead rat pup in the tubs after a few days, so I've taken a couple in that clearly weren't going to be eaten.
I think they are both pretty well the same age, but one has a much less shaky walk going on, which makes me believe he/she might be a day or two older. I don't work with the rats, or feed them to the snakes most times, so I can't know for sure how old they are. Their eyes are open, they sort of poop on their own (at least the the "younger" one kind of managed a runnier poop). I took one home yesterday (Monday), and the other one today.
I have them set up in a plastic tub with a red heat lamp, keeping them at 95ish. (It fluctuates only a little bit.) I have checked the thermometer regularly, and have not seen it reach 100. I have read that they should be 100-102, and no higher, but they aren't pinkys and they're doing fine.
Until Thursday, I will not have the appropriate formula, as I will then be able to purchase human soy infant powdered formula. And for the first 24 hours I have been giving them dilute sugar water (1/4 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of sugar, 1 cup of hot water), because the formula I do have right now is liquid formula (which must be discarded after 48 hours, so I need it to last me until Thursday). I will begin feeding them the formula tomorrow, quite possibly tonight. So that leads to my question;
How do I go about feeding a liquid formula?
I know with the powdered you dilute it for the first couple feedings to allow the rat to adjust. Would that be the same with the liquid? I know it says you must add water anyways, so I add a little more water? A specific example of a mixture that I could do would be helpful (1 teaspoon of ??, 1/3 teaspoon of ??, etc).
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Take the lamp out pronto! At 95 degrees fahrenheit they will cook to death. Rat's can't handle temps of 85 or higher. If their eyes are open and they're pooing on their own then get some oxbow young rat and mouse food and soak it in the formula.
Offer a water bottle as well. Put some scraps of old tee shirts or something of that nature for them to nest in, they'll keep each other warm. If you don't have any rat food then offer bread sopped in the formula. Can you post photos of them so I can try an guess their age. If you can get a good photo of their genitales I'll see about sexing them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're really messy right now, I need to wipe them down, the place where I work puts blood on them to entice the snakes. I will attempt some genital photos, I need to wipe there as well, because they're a little poopy.
I read something from someone who's supposed to be kind of an expert regarding rats, and I had read that the heat lamp was necessary, but I'll take it away. My room does get to the low 70's though.
Do you need different angled photos? Face photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
I only see one picture. I'm guessing he's about 2-3 weeks. If you don't have formula right now, do you have any dog or cat food that you could soak in soy or almond milk if you have it-if not even just some water or heavy cream? They should be able to lap it themselves. Just make it fairly liquidy. they need substance.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well this picture is of the other one.

I have dog and cat food, adult though, I might have kitten food if that's better. I also don't have any kind of milk except for your regular old 2%. But I do have formula, just not the formula I would like. It's Enfamil infant formula, should I do the same thing with that? Like, do the cat/dog food, or the bread?
The one that I believe is older was chewing on a small piece of potato from my dinner, slowly, but he/she enjoyed it. So if I'm mixing the formula with the dog/cat food or the bread, I am making it mushy?
Should I still invest in the powdered formula I plan to get on Thursday?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes use the formula you have for now. Soak the cat/dog food and a little of the soggy bread. They look right at two weeks and do need to be fed the formula. So you have a small tipped paint brush that clean? You can attempt to feed them like that since it's like nursing from mummy. They'll need to be fed every hour to two hours, attempt with the brush first but if they don't get it then try with the bread or kibble, and wipe their bums before and after each feeding to help them defecate and urinate. These guys are still way too young to be away from mummy so try and stimulate being a foster mum as best you can. If you happen to have a nursing mum around then I would try to get her to foster them, they'll have a better shot at making it with a rattie mummy.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
They look right around 2.5 wks

Yep, make a mushy soft sort of meal that has plenty of liquid to lap up. They'll be eating soon so you don't need to syringe feed too much. I would dilute the liquid as well as the powder to allow for adjusting.

A heating pad under half of their container is a good way to offer warmth if they want it. They can crawl away from it if it's too hot. Only offer it on low.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been using some sort of dropper to feed them, it seems to be going well.
If I had a nursing rat, I certainly would have placed them with her. :I I have been stimulating, but all I've been getting are pees.
Should I still warm up the formula to do this?

Edit:
They can easily crawl away from the heat lamp to be cool if they need to, but if you guys think I should remove it, I will.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes still warm the formula, cold foods are hard on babies bellies. I still stand firm on removing the lamp, the plastic bin they're in retains heat and they can easily overheat. With the heating pad the heat is more even and will rise as where a lamp is shining down on them.
They should start to poo soon after they've gotten some food in them, if I personally were in your position I would keep wiping them for a good 5-10 minutes. A corner of a wet, warm washcloth works well. Cotton balls will probably work too, I've just had the best luck with the cloth.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have a good feeling that they'll make it, they sound like little troopers. Thank you for taking them in and giving them a shot at life, you're a wonderful person!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big full bellies! They seem to prefer to have the formula in a small dish with the bread and cat food. I have to go to school still, and so I leave the dish in there and the bread and formula is totally gone when I get home, and some of the cat food gets scattered lol.
It's incredibly amusing to watch them wrestle hahaha.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yay!! This is excellent news!!
When you get the chance you need to buy some young rat food, Oxbow is the best on the market. I'll post a link so you know what to look for; they need to be switched to it soaked in the formula. Once they're a bit bigger you can stop soaking them but they're going to need to be on the young rat and mouse food till they're four months old.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=26557

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's only the one pup that's super round, the other one looks 'normal'. I'm not sure which one it is, but one of them has pooped out tiny little what I think is solid-squishy turds twice now. The other has had runnier poops. Neither has gone while I was stimulating, but I will continue to try.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts