Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My boy Oxnard had a strange accident happen about a week or two ago. I didn't hear it happen, but what I assume happened is that he fell and tried to catch himself on fabric, and he ended up messing up some of his nails. One of them was lifted and bloody, and fell off a few days ago, but his back nails are fine now.

When I discovered he did this it was because I found him in the corner of his cage with croaky breathing. I'm assuming this happened because of his stress from his accident, and that it was his myco flaring up big time, because he recovered completely from it. However when he was going through this, I picked him up out of his cage to try to calm him down, and he poo'd on the bath robe I was holding him in... leading me to believe he has somehow connected that to thinking I hurt him?

Ever since this happened he hasn't been the same. He makes no sounds whatsoever when he breathes now, and hardly sneezes anymore. But, a lot of the times when I look in or try to pet him, he freezes as if he's terrified. While he's frozen like this his breathing is more rapid too, and I've noticed while sleeping his breathing is more rapid than his brother's. I can lift up his paws and everything when he's like this and he doesn't respond, just sits there with his eyes wide open.

His brother is completely different from him; active, friendly, inquisitive. Oxnard used to be a lot friendlier. And now he seems very scared of us and wants to stay in bed all day.

Is it possible he made that connection in his mind, or could he be sick? He seems healthy besides the strange behaviour. Eating fine, drinking fine, taking his favorite treats from me, going to the litterbox as usual, even wrestling with his brother a bit.

If it's possible I've scared him, what are ways I could win back his trust? He'll still lick my fingers a bit like he used to, but that's all.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would take him out and give him some one on one time to get to know you and stuff and see if that helps. Since he was social, is he doing this to anyone else?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take him out and give him some one on one time to get to know you and stuff and see if that helps. Since he was social, is he doing this to anyone else?
He does this to my boyfriend too, we've both handled him since we first got them. He seems generally afraid. They're only 4-5 months and we've had them for 2-3 months. I'm scared that if I take him out too much it'll make him more scared or something. :( But I usually take them out together. I'll try taking him out alone this evening.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Best safe spot for my girls is me sitting on my bed with a small blanket over my legs. They can hide in them, while spending time with you. Bring some of their favorite treats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best safe spot for my girls is me sitting on my bed with a small blanket over my legs. They can hide in them, while spending time with you. Bring some of their favorite treats.
So you do believe he was scared by what I describe then?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Could be-Monkey just went through a weird phase. She's our most outgoing crazy girl, but she was weird for about 3 days. I think in our case it was a weather change-we had several days of really high winds so even though it didn't bother anyone else, thats all we could think of that would of been strange and different. Usually if she's out of her cage, she is all over the place. But those few days we'd have her on our bed with us and she would snuggle up under my legs and would not budge for nothing. Twice when we tried to get her out from the covers she did a full bladder release. The girl was really scared!!! Normally her and Buttercup hang out all evening with us on the bed and use their litter box that is on the dresser 100%-other than marking my arm \:

We grabbed up the girls today, Goose and the girly babies and brought them all into the bathroom with my daughter and me and she was back to her playful self. I have her with me now and she is still just all energetic and brave. So anyways, my reply to you was with that in mind. Monkey felt safe hiding in the blanket on us for a few days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be-Monkey just went through a weird phase. She's our most outgoing crazy girl, but she was weird for about 3 days. I think in our case it was a weather change-we had several days of really high winds so even though it didn't bother anyone else, thats all we could think of that would of been strange and different. Usually if she's out of her cage, she is all over the place. But those few days we'd have her on our bed with us and she would snuggle up under my legs and would not budge for nothing. Twice when we tried to get her out from the covers she did a full bladder release. The girl was really scared!!! Normally her and Buttercup hang out all evening with us on the bed and use their litter box that is on the dresser 100%-other than marking my arm \:

We grabbed up the girls today, Goose and the girly babies and brought them all into the bathroom with my daughter and me and she was back to her playful self. I have her with me now and she is still just all energetic and brave. So anyways, my reply to you was with that in mind. Monkey felt safe hiding in the blanket on us for a few days.

That's pretty interesting because we actually had a hurricane go by here and the weather was pretty crappy while this was happening... I never even thought about rats being affected like other animals like that! Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it a lot :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I took him out on his own tonight and he was being pretty friendly, almost more cuddly than usual. Though when I first took him out he peed a lot, and I saw the pee was white and that he had passed a blockage (after researching what it was). Perhaps this has something to do with his reserved behaviour too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh I bet that was causing the issue. Poor boy! Is he an older guy? You want to check the older dudes for plugs-clean em off if one develops. Glad to hear he's feeling more like himself!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I bet that was causing the issue. Poor boy! Is he an older guy? You want to check the older dudes for plugs-clean em off if one develops. Glad to hear he's feeling more like himself!
No actually, he's only 4-5 months old... I noticed him going around that area more than usual... Why can't he just be normal haha :( I guess that's what I get for buying pet store rats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.. out of his cage on my bed, he's more active. Back in his cage, he still acts weird, doesn't respond if I pet him, looks scared. Won't take food from me. What he heck's up with him... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts