Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey well as a start i would like to say that no..these 2 arnt pregnant no way lol they havent been anywhere near males for 10 months atleast.

Well i have 3 rats at the moment and with the youngest one its always so obvious when shes in heat. Getting really hyper and wiggling and vibrating when you touch her.

However to two older girls ((10 - 11 months)) NEVER seem to be in heat ?
Im a night person and i have never seen any "symptoms" of them being in heat.

Do rats go thorugh "menopause" and stop when they hit a certain age ?

I got one when she was around 2 months old. And the other when she was 4 months.

Is it something to worry about ?

Could they have possibly been spayed before i got them ? Is there a way to check ?

Sorry for all the questions i just wont to make sure that its not something more serious that i havent picked up on.

*feels stupid for leaving this so long if it is something worse*

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They probably are going into heat, you just may not notice. Some are definitely more obvious than others, I've noticed. It's absolutely fine, unless there are any concerning symptoms (discharge - especially bloody, etc). Don't fret it. If there's been no contact with males, then there's nothing to worry about.

There should be an incision scar if they were spayed, or a vet should be able to determine if they were or not.

I believe it's not known exactly when female rats stop going into heat. It's always best to assume they're not sterile, but there appears to be an age where they can no longer procreate.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I had a 27 month old girl go into heat. Some rats are obvious when they go into heat and others you will never know, menopause is supposed to start at 18 months, but that it is different for every female and even older rats can get pregnant and are fertile.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Out of my girls only a couple of them display 'heat' behaviour. The only way I can tell if they're in heat is to examine them (check them 'down there')

I've been reading up recently and apparently, some rats are better at hiding it than others. I can see that happening quite obviously with my wild furkid, Max. You can tell she's a completely different kettle of fish to my domestics anyway, but I have never seen/known her to go into heat, even if I check her. She will 'hide' any 'other than neutral' behaviour, e.g. URIs, pain and being in heat. The only way I can tell that she is going into heat is that she has a night of grumpy pms and runs around picking on the others. Maybe some of our domestics are more in tune to their wild roots - and hide it out of nature? Just a thought

10-11 months seems quite young for menopause. Both girls that I've had that have reached 2 years old have both continued going into heat.

I completely second Kimmiekins - unless you see anything unusual I would simply assume that this is normal behaviour for your rats.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had my girls for 4 weeks now and only ever noticed Gohma in heat once. I picked her up and her area was a little... gooey. Not in an unhealthy way. Just in that "natural lubricant" sort of way (sorry for the imagery).

I've never noticed Dust in heat, but she's not pregnant so she's probably just hiding it. Your girls are probably just hiding it too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts