Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my girls for a while now. I've tried multiple treats with them and they all love them (they constantly steal from each other but I always have more so they both get treats) and they always get excited when my hand comes into their cage because it means tasty food. I even hand feed them their lab blocks, but I cannot get them to take treats outside their cage. I've tried holding the treats in front of them, leaving loose treats in their play area, and putting out treats in the food bowl I use to leave new treats in their cage to taste. They completely ignore it every time. This is making it practically impossible to train them beyond teaching them their names. They'll eat right before I take them out or right after I put them in so I know they're not too full. Any ideas why or how I could maybe get them to start taking treats?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
My very first rats would never ever eat outside of their cage. Not even for the most delicious treats. Their entire lives, not even once lol

Of my current rats sometimes my Maly will but not often. He just has too much to do to eat lol He is a weird rat.

I think you could try leaving the cage open & putting the treats at the door, like even maybe half way in. Then when they are taking that, move the treats outside the door, repeat everytime they are taking the treats often move it further away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My girls wouldn't for the first few months I had them. After they got more used to me and the new environment they started warming up to eating outside of their cage. Animals also won't eat if they're too nervous, so could there be something in their environment that is making them nervous?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts