Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughters hammy is dead!!!... but im soooooo scared cos of the stories of hibernation.
Does anyone know what a hibinating hammy looks like...
Poor dizzy, she has stiff paws and legs, her neck id stiff, but she is floppy to pick up.
Hers eyes are open and look dry and dead, her jaw is unopenable but ive squeezed my finger in to see if her mouth is moist but its dry.
I cant see her breathing but have read that they can take only 1 breath every two minutes when hibernating.
Her belly is still soft and squishy.
her whiskers dont move, her nose doesnt twitch. in all honesty she looks dead but when my ratties have past they are very stiff all over, she is still supple apart from her limbs and neck.

Shes been wobbly and less active for about 4 days, shes 2/12 years old so she wasnt mega active anyhow.
ive looked on the net to see how fast they go into hibernation, has she been trying to hibernate these last 4 days

I just dont know what to do!!!!! im terrified of burying a hibernating hammy but she really looks dead.

Any one have a hibernating hammy in the past pleaasseeeee?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Can you feel a heart beat?

She will get cold and stiff soon enough. She sounds like she was sick and ailing being an old hammy and she is gone now. I think the hibernating has to be accompanied by a sudden drop in temp?

·
Registered
798 Posts
i've never heard of a hamster hibernating, but i can understand why you're exhausting every option before burying the poor dear alive, kudos to you for being responsible. You have my sympathies for your poor lost hammy if it did indeed pass. If it is infact hibernating though, I don't know what to tell you because that just amazes me.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
from http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUniversity/HamsterHibernation.html

What are the symptoms of hibernation?
Many people remark that on first glance, the hamster appears dead. Looking closely, you will notice that it is still breathing, though not very strongly. The hamster will be very limp, as opposed to the stiffness that occurs soon after death. It will also be very cold to the touch. Check feet and noses and ears- places with less fur- and they will be quite icy.

What do I do if my hamster goes into hibernation?
Three things are key to bring a hamster out of hibernation- getting them warm, keeping them awake, and rehydration. Immediately bring the hamster into a warm room. If possible, place the hamster on a heating pad or hot water bottle with several layers of towel between the hamster and the heat source. You may want to cover the hamster partly, too, to try to trap the heat next to their body. Rub the hamster- not roughly, but vigorously. The friction will help to warm them as well as wake them up. A medicine dropper or syringe is always helpful to have around when you have pets. You will want to try to get the hamster to drink. Once awake, there will be little change at first, but offered liquid, a hamster will try to swallow or lick at it.

What causes Hibernation and how to prevent it?
Hibernation, most commonly, is caused by an extreme drop in temperature. However, even a slight change in temperature, combined with lack of food or water can trigger hibernation. Even in warm months, a hamster with no food might fall into a deep sleep to conserve its energy. A hamster can fall into hibernation in a matter of hours. You should check your hamster morning and night for activity during colder months. No one has control over the weather, unfortunately. Considerations must be made, however, for your hamster's comfort. At all times, keep your hamster's cage out of drafts. Check to see if the room your hamster is housed in is not cooler than other parts of the house.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks all,
i think this morning on further inspection its safe to say shes past.. gutted, never met a more gorgeous hammy in my entire life!!!!!

I had a dream last night about her, i was cuddling her and she woke up and started dashing about..

gutted!!!!!!!!!!
:-(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm very sorry for your (and your daughter's) loss.

I don't think stiffness is much indication... rigor mortis only lasts so long. :?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'm sorry for your loss. it's terrible to lose any one, even something so small.

i would just like to add that yes, i've had hamsters hibernate on me before. (i set the cage under a leaky windowsill = cold hibernating hamster). hamster was icy cold, eyes closed, couldn't see breathing at all, and floppy. i cried and cried and held the hammy and probably shook her more than was good for her but she randomly "came back to life" after a few moments, very groggy but alive. i have since read that you can extend a hamster's life span by almost 30% if you place him in a cold area 3 months out of every year to trigger a hibernation... so it may not be a bad thing at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts