Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have three boys now, all wonderful. I also have dog and have had birds In the past. I live in a house I rent fro my parents and the strict rule is no cats. The dog was with me when I moved in and the birds came in without permission. But I haven't told my dad about the rats. He has rat poison outside the house and has set up mousetraps for me before. I briefly mentioned to my mom that I wanted rats and she advised against it. Never said no though. Tomorrow my dad is coming over with contractors to look into better insulating the upstairs of my house. No real reason to go in my room. I asked my mom what I should do about the "mess" in my room and she said to just cover it with sheets. So the plan is to do that and if he finds the boys anyway to say I was just worried about strangers scaring them and possible dust and argue that I had birds without clearance and this is just another small caged animal. I keep their cages clean so the don't smell. Any advice?

· Registered
322 Posts
How big is the cage? Can you just move them while he's there, that is if you have somewhere. Does your mum know about the rats or you just mentioned in passing that you wanted them? Fingers crossed he doesn't find them, Haha. You know how people can be about rats, I think that's why it'd be different from the birds.

· Registered
908 Posts
These are all good suggestions for how to hide them, but I'd be careful. If you did this in a true renting situation (if you sign a lease, etc. that forbids pets) the landlord can and will kick you out. Personally, I'd not keep animals that my parents didn't allow me to on their property (especially if they are giving you a good deal on the rent, etc.). If you do end up moving out at some point, make sure you find a place that specifically allows caged animals and check the lease to make sure it does not prohibit you keeping them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.