Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my Husband and I puchased a new Rat today, as advised - to be a companion for Zoey.

She is a little wittle Dumbo Rat *do I have that right?*

She was breathing fine at the Pet Store *from what I can remember*, and we brought her home right away. After a while of being intergrated in her new home, Hubby and I noticed her breathing wasn't "normal".

She sounds - hmmm - how to explain this. Her nose is "wet" and she seems to blow liquid out....not excessive liquid, but I can see it and she'll wipe it with her little front feet. I am not sure if it is sneezing, or blowing to get the liquid out?

Zoey, she sounds perfectly normal. No rasping, no wheezing, no liquid - but I can hear Eclipse when she breathes.

Am I making sense??

It's like someone with bronchitus - raspy, liquidy......dur, I feel dumb. Someone with a snotty nose - or is it in her lungs?

*If I am making any sense* what is this? Will this clear up? I'm really worried.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It could be new home sneezes, but what you're describing sounds more like an upper respiratory infection. I'd take her to a vet to see if she needs antibiotics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what bedding do you have them on? because if its wood shavings take them of it IMEDIATLEY and replace with something along the lines of paper based kitty litter. wood shavings cause respiritory problems which can damage the lungs.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
panther said:
what bedding do you have them on? because if its wood shavings take them of it IMEDIATLEY and replace with something along the lines of paper based kitty litter. wood shavings cause respiritory problems which can damage the lungs.
Aspen is fine. :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Aspen is a tree. You can use the shavings like pine or cedar but its not dangerous to our rats because it doesn't have those nasty phenols. :)
Its readily available and usually inexpensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We bought this paper based bedding that the Pet Store uses. It is brownish and in clumps.

We contacted the Pet Store and spoke with the Lady who sold us Eclipse and described what she sounds like and she said exactly what Forensic said - the beginnings of an Upper Respitory Infection - probobly brought on from the stress of the move.

It just happened so fast. When at the store, little one was breathing perfectly fine and now she's wheezy, raspy, sneezy and gurgly.

The Lady at the Pet Store said to bring her back and they'll put her in the back and give her antibiodics for free and when she clears up we can pick her back up. She offered to exchange her but we wont do that to her.

I also went to the Vet Clinic just down the road from us and they said the same thing, $28.00 later they said if I can get the antibiodics for free then do it that way.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The bedding sounds like carefresh =s! I hope she gets better *crosses finers* x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, things are looking on the Up and Up.

Eclipse isn't breathing funny today, and a little sneezing with liquid out of nose - but not at all like it was yesterday when I made this post.

She has been quite active and I'm quite pleased. So lets hope this is a good sign and keep fingers crossed that she wont go back downhill.

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts