Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat, Marcel, has been on doxy and baytril (2.0 ml each twice a day) for four weeks. He's a big boy, he weighs like a pound or a pound and a half.

I took him off two days ago and he's making weird breathing sounds /again/. It's only when he's excited or nervous (I brought him upstairs with me and then my dog was around his cage and barking). He is silent and has no porphyrin otherwise. Don't know what to do. Should I put him back on it?

·
Registered
555 Posts
My rat, Marcel, has been on doxy and baytril (2.0 ml each twice a day) for four weeks. He's a big boy, he weighs like a pound or a pound and a half.

I took him off two days ago and he's making weird breathing sounds /again/. It's only when he's excited or nervous (I brought him upstairs with me and then my dog was around his cage and barking). He is silent and has no porphyrin otherwise. Don't know what to do. Should I put him back on it?
I'd consult a vet just to be on the safer side of things but generally medication shouldn't be given for longer than 2 weeks for some reason I read somewhere. Has to do with not working as efficiently as it should in the future if they were to take the same medication again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is the first time he's been on it. And did I say four weeks? I meant three. That was stupid- it's been four weeks since my previous rat died so I keep getting the dates mixed up where he died and where Marcel has been on his medicine. Sorry!!

What was weird was my vet didn't tell me how long to dose him and it didn't say on the bottom so I stupidly thought to go three weeks (what my vet prescribed my sicker eat a few months back). Probably should've just asked and I feel quite silly knowing that the max should be two weeks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is the first time he's been on it. And did I say four weeks? I meant three. That was stupid- it's been four weeks since my previous rat died so I keep getting the dates mixed up where he died and where Marcel has been on his medicine. Sorry!!

What was weird was my vet didn't tell me how long to dose him and it didn't say on the bottom so I stupidly thought to go three weeks (what my vet prescribed my sicker eat a few months back). Probably should've just asked and I feel quite silly knowing that the max should be two weeks.
It honestly depends on the situation. The only reason why I'm saying its 2 weeks (and I could be wrong with that) is because my rat was on chloro Palm and now is on baytril and they were both 2 week dosages of 0.2 every 8 and 12 hours

·
Registered
77 Posts
My two girls were on the baytril/doxy combo twice, each time for three weeks. Eventually, they built up a resistance to it and the vet switched them to a round of Zithromax and they responded to that. In your case, it sounds like the baytril/doxy combo might have been working but don't be afraid to talk about other meds with the vet, especially if it's looking like it will be a long term issue (chronic URIs). In terms of the dosing length, I'd give a vet a call to clarify what they perscribed but I do know a common concern is that rats may build up an immunity/resistance to it.
Good luck and keep us updated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts