Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a rat owner for many years but I've only ever owned males. I have been wanting a female and I only have one male rat left right now who was recently neutered due to aggression. I'll be ready for another rat or two after the holiday season. My problem is I don't trust the only breeder in my area and all the stores in my area only have males that I have seen but one feeder store that I don't trust. The only shelters that have females are a little to far away the same with craigslist.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Can you fill out an application with a good rat specific rescue, and work with them on transport?

Often, rescues have far-flung foster homes, and/or can arrange transport "trains" in order to get adoptable animals to new homes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
^ not to hijack the thread, but where are YOU located, Grawisher? I'm also looking for a female.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm in western sd and traveling to colorado springs to take 3 to my cousin so anywhere in between is feasible really

OP I also have 7 males without homes if you decide you want males again instead....it was a litter of 15

·
Registered
908 Posts
Try posting on a FB group (i.e. like rat breeders). There are sometimes a lot of people there that don't post on forums or otherwise have websites. Some are feeder breeders, but some are show breeders, ex-show breeders, hobby breeders, etc. You might find someone in your area that way.

I only got females because there was one litter of rescues at my local petco (so I took 3 girls) other than that, only males are available in my area as well. If you have a petco, check with them to see if anyone has brought in a pregnant female.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The best advise I can give is that if you can't find the kind of reputable breeder you want only adopt female rats that are too young to be pregnant and handle them before you adopt them, pay close attention to her health and behavior... Very fine rats can come from some really bad places.

If the female you choose is healthy, mite free, has a good temperament and isn't pregnant you'll most likely still do just fine with her.

Best luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts