Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dela and Neera went to the vet last night since Neera has been sneezing a lot and I was worried about a myco flare-up... Sadly, I wasn't able to take them because I have the flu, so my dad did. When they got home they were acting really weird, which I'm assuming is because they probably got really scared at the vet's... My dad said that the vet said that they couldn't test for myco though? Did they think he meant to see if thhey had the bacteria? I'm kind of confused on that...

Well, I tried to give them their medicine straight out of the syringe and apparently it tastes bad because they both completely rejected it after the first lick. Then I tried putting it on a cheerio, their favorite, and Dela actually went so far as to bury it in her litter box! What should I do? There's no way I can hold them and force them to take the medicine... Should I try some baby food? Also, the medicine they gave is called Sulfamethoxazole Suspension, which I've never heard of. It's kind of a pinkish medicine. Is this the right medicine?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From all that I just looked at, this medicine she gave me doesn't work on myco! What should I do? Will the vet office replace this medicine for a different type since it's their mistake? I'm really worried now because I already took too long taking them to the vet because my parents were so busy. The vet the office gave me this time isn't even my vet... I'm really lost on this whole thing. :I

·
Registered
555 Posts
From all that I just looked at, this medicine she gave me doesn't work on myco! What should I do? Will the vet office replace this medicine for a different type since it's their mistake? I'm really worried now because I already took too long taking them to the vet because my parents were so busy. The vet the office gave me this time isn't even my vet... I'm really lost on this whole thing. :I
I'd call them ASAP and explain that you could t go because you're sick but you did some research on the meds they provided and they don't even help for the issue you're having so you'd either like them to replace it or you'd like to purchase another.

I find Baytril mixed with Apple juice works good for my girls. Also Doxycycline and Chloro Palm (although Chloro Palm didn't work for my girls)

Good luck!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just called in but they said that the vet isn't there yet... The vet my dad saw isn't even my vet! She's a dog and cat vet! This is really frustrating for me... So I should ask for some Baytril then?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just called in but they said that the vet isn't there yet... The vet my dad saw isn't even my vet! She's a dog and cat vet! This is really frustrating for me... So I should ask for some Baytril then?
Oh. If they aren't specialized in exotic animals I wouldn't go to them anymore then. Tell them you need Baytril. I'll tell you exactly what my label says!

1.12cc Baytril + 11.1cc Apple juice
Give 0.2cc orally every 12 hours for 14 days.

The dosage may change depending on the size of the rat you're medicating but it's generally 0.2cc on a syringe that you'd give.

I hope this helps! Also be relentless and don't leave until they prescribe you the right medication because some vets think they know best but honestly they're not as knowledgable in exotics.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The office I go to has multiple vets in it, one, mine, being exotic. My dad said this vet seemed to know rats though so maybe she studied outside her field? Either way, this doesn't seem to be the right medicine. The cet office said they would call me back once the vet returned but I still haven't gotten a call. :I

·
Registered
555 Posts
The office I go to has multiple vets in it, one, mine, being exotic. My dad said this vet seemed to know rats though so maybe she studied outside her field? Either way, this doesn't seem to be the right medicine. The cet office said they would call me back once the vet returned but I still haven't gotten a call. :I
I'd call back and ask for the vet again. I'm honestly so bad when it comes to that. If they say she's not in, ask at what time and call back again at that time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently she's in now but she's in a meeting right now and hasn't been able to call... Hopefully I'll get a call back soon and I can get this straightened out. Out of curiosity, this really wouldn't be anything other than myco, would it? Neera has been sneezing a lot lately, so I just assumed myco. Did my vet notice something else that might have pointed her in a different direction? It seems like I at least would have been given a medicine that treats myco, considering the problems that rats have...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Apparently she's in now but she's in a meeting right now and hasn't been able to call... Hopefully I'll get a call back soon and I can get this straightened out. Out of curiosity, this really wouldn't be anything other than myco, would it? Neera has been sneezing a lot lately, so I just assumed myco. Did my vet notice something else that might have pointed her in a different direction? It seems like I at least would have been given a medicine that treats myco, considering the problems that rats have...
My vet said that rats get Myco flare ups a lot and that Baytril would take care of any symptoms over a period of time. My baby girl was honestly really bad when I got her from day 1 and I thought it was just new home sneezes so I let it be and after she started making these really strange noises I brought her in. So from the time I got her on November 26th until December 10th she went untreated. And she was sneezing like crazy at this point, porphorin staining on her nose a lot but still active and eating etc. I kid you not, after just 3 days of Baytril I could notice such a significant change. She, as well as my other girl are still on meds right now and it's taken a lot of money and time looking after them to get them back to health but they're almost there :).

I hope that the vet gives you Baytril. It's honestly amazing.

As far as it being something else, I would say no, unless she's doing something super strange out of the ordinary. What did the vet say about her lungs? Did they sound clear? And her weight? Are you monitoring her weight on a weekly basis?

By monitoring their weight you can tell if they're I'll sometimes before they show symptoms. So it's good to keep track of that and make sure they're fluctuating just a tiny bit, staying the same and gradually gaining if she's still a baby.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, I don't have a scale to monitor her weight... I'm also not entirely sure what my dad was told since I wasn't there and he left pretty quick since I was still contagious. I don't think it's in her lungs but I can't be certain. I did get a call back but I just barely missed it and I'll have to wait a bit. :I She left me a voicemail though and seemed happy to explain why she chose the medicine she did. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can talk to her...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sadly, I don't have a scale to monitor her weight... I'm also not entirely sure what my dad was told since I wasn't there and he left pretty quick since I was still contagious. I don't think it's in her lungs but I can't be certain. I did get a call back but I just barely missed it and I'll have to wait a bit. :I She left me a voicemail though and seemed happy to explain why she chose the medicine she did. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can talk to her...
Hold your rat up to your ear. The upper part of her tummy should be pressed against your ear. Just listen for any raspiness and weird gurgling sounds. All you should be able to hear is her heartbeat and light swoosh swoosh sounds if she's sniffing while you're holding her. I literally do this twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night also.

That's good that she's willing to explain to you. When you do talk to her I'd mention about the Baytril and ask if what she prescribed doesn't take effect on them if she will give you Baytril.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been checking her that way since I noticed her sneezing, I just wasn't sure if it was entirely foolproof. She sounds clear in the lungs to me, she's just sneezing a lot. I'll definitely ask her about it once I get a call back. Thank you so, so much for your help!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, so I was finally able to talk to her. She explained that it didn't seem like myco to her and she thought it might be better to try this medicine instead. She was very, very open to me getting a bottle of baytril if there wasn't improvement soon or if they continued to not take it. She was actually very nice and very open to anything that I needed. She even offered a sort of blood testing to determine exactly what bacteria they might have. I'm going to try mixing the medicine with baby food, their other favorite, tonight and see if they take it. If not I'll be getting the baytril from her.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Alright, so I was finally able to talk to her. She explained that it didn't seem like myco to her and she thought it might be better to try this medicine instead. She was very, very open to me getting a bottle of baytril if there wasn't improvement soon or if they continued to not take it. She was actually very nice and very open to anything that I needed. She even offered a sort of blood testing to determine exactly what bacteria they might have. I'm going to try mixing the medicine with baby food, their other favorite, tonight and see if they take it. If not I'll be getting the baytril from her.
Good! I'm glad everything worked out :). I hope your babes feel better soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts