Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for another one in my area that would be able to see Socrates. I thought, I found one but, cannot make an appointment due to my work schedule and their covid hours. Unfortunately, this was my favorite vet in my area with tons of exotic/reptile/avian experience
I noticed while, giving him a treat for our taming session. That he has some irritation/scabs on his left shoulder and a tad under the nap of his neck. Im not sure if he is over barbering himself or if it could be from something else.
He is still not tame for me to hold him as he is extremely skittish. But, is working up to that slowly. He is alot more interested in me and runs to the front when he hears or sees me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Small scabs, especially around the shoulders, neck, and jawline are often a sign of mites. One rat can show symptoms of mites even if their cage mates do not. It would be a good idea to schedule a vet appointment so you can get a prescription for [Revolution].

Vets in my area charge per rat. If I were to bring in all 5 of my rats, I would be charged with an exam fee for each of them. When I've had to deal with mites in the past, I asked the vet before the appointment if they would be willing to examine 1 of my rats and then give me enough medication to treat the rest of them at home. If they told me that they needed to examine all 5 of my rats, I would've found a different vet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small scabs, especially around the shoulders, neck, and jawline are often a sign of mites. One rat can show symptoms of mites even if their cage mates do not. It would be a good idea to schedule a vet appointment so you can get a prescription for [Revolution].

Vets in my area charge per rat. If I were to bring in all 5 of my rats, I would be charged with an exam fee for each of them. When I've had to deal with mites in the past, I asked the vet before the appointment if they would be willing to examine 1 of my rats and then give me enough medication to treat the rest of them at home. If they told me that they needed to examine all 5 of my rats, I would've found a different vet.
Thank you, that was my suspicion of possible mites! I will definitely be finding a new vet and getting him seen asap

1 - 3 of 3 Posts