Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted some new babies the other day, (all 6 weeks old except for the one in question here, who is 3 months) including one sweetheart who lost part of her tail in some kind of pinching accident as far as I understand. I was told the injury was about 2 months old and it looks healthy and well healed.

I was just wondering if this will greatly affect her? So far she seems absolutely normal, just a little stumpy looking. Has anyone else here had experience with a rat missing part of their tail?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've never had a rat with a similar issue, but from what I know of the way rats use their tails, she may have balance issues. Since she's still young she will probably adapt well to it and you may not even notice a difference in agility between her and her cagemates.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured she might have some trouble there. So far it's hard to say because I seem to have gotten a mischief full of goofballs who are constantly darting and running and leaping. (On purpose? By accident? Who knows! but it sure looks like they're enjoying themselves :p)

·
Registered
50 Posts
My very first rat was missing about half his tail. He had a little problem with balancing on small objects but was as normal as could be. I doubt your little on will have much issue either. Just keep a closer eye on her if she tries to do any tight rope walking ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My baby rat has a half tail too. I haven't noticed anything that sets her back. She fell from my bed frame once, but several of my rats have, and she literally just kept walking. If your Nubs got it that young, I'm sure she'll be fine.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a cat with half a tail. I know that probably doesn't help you with your question but I thought we could start a half-tail club ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
@Minky, such a cute kitty! :)

As for Nubs, if you do start to notice some difficulty with balance you can remedy it by placing hammocks around the cage to catch her if she falls. But rats are generally quite sturdy, I have one goofball myself who can't seem to judge distance well and often leaps off of or into large objects! She's doing fine. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice! She seems pretty normal so far but she does seem to fall off the cage bars while everyone just races around on them :p I should try to get a picture. She's so precious!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts