Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wondered of anyone has experienced what I am going through at the moment. My Naked / Rex Cross Nudie is 'at the end'. However, I feel as though it is all my fault simply because he had 1 prescribed dose of Enrobactin.

To give some context he is 2yrs 3mnth old and has always been in good health. He did have to have a large serbaceous / gland cyst removed in May. He came through the op brilliantly, healed well and quickly with no complications but was prescribed the Antibiotics post op. which he didn't need in the end and he got the all clear .. the lump was between the skin and the muscle.

Forward on to 10 days ago, My first mistake in thinking he had a slight crackle / upper respo which he probably didn't but 2nd mistake as a precaution I gave him 1 dose of the Enrobactin.

He didn't seem that great straight after - very sleepy but I know some meds can have mild side effects. I've never used this med before as I have always been given Baytril.

A few days later .. he'd been more inactive than usual and on cleaning out his cage there was a huge stash of days worth of food. Nudie had never been a rat to 'stash even small amounts. On getting him out he'd already lost an unbelievable amount of weight. His co-ordination was all over the place. He was totally vacant and confused. So I'd been filling the bowl and he'd been 'stashing it but not eating it!!)

Trying to get him to eat he clearly didn't seem to know what food was or what to do with it to start with.

After trying rat food I tried cake and then porridge (oatmeal) as it was soft. It took a while for him to get the hang of it but then one minute he was eating it the next it was like he'd instantly forgotten where it was and what he was doing. Point him back to the cake and boom eating it then forgets

Moving on for the last ten days he can just about manage to eat and drink on his own (poor co-ordination and balance) but he still always forgets what he's doing / where he is and you have to prompt him.. He's stuck in this endless loop of reminding him to come out and eat and drink and supervise so he doesn't forget. I have even taking to helping him every evening to try and get his weight back up.

Sadly it is not working. He has such an appetite to eat and drink, and still tries to clean himself yet even with extra help he is managing less than a full days food for an average rat. about 1cm x 1cm piece of cake.

He doesn't seem to understand harder food such as breakfast cereal, crushed rat biscuits, (I've tried all sorts) so and has been living off cake and porridge. No good for wearing his teeth down / not much good for his kidneys and his weight is pretty much nil. He's metabolising more calories than he eats. Since Naked rats also metabolize faster and in a different way than Fancy Rats (I was told it was to do with lack of fur / maintaining body temp and Naked rats odd genetics) they have to eat more as a rule than average fancy rats.

Whatever is going on is definitely neurological damage ..He has no signs of respo or pneumonia, no head tilt or walking in circles. No bulging eye/eyes which are typical p/t
No loss of body temperature. Normal Breathing. No signs of pain. It's more as if he has 'dementia' which he flicks in and out of all the time.

He's such a fighter but he's really struggling.

Anyway I am gutted, guilty and feel horrible. Looking back if I just hadn't given him the meds maybe this wouldn't have happened. I am thinking of the the sad choice now to 'let him go' on Tuesday. I feel it is unfair to keep him going...

Perhaps the meds was just a coincidence and not to blame. It says in the meds leaflet: that 'Enrofloaxin (the main ingredient) can 'cause stimulation of the nervous system' and should not be prescribed to pets with history of seizures or hypersensitivity to the ingredients (Nudie has no history of seizures but he had never had these meds before so there would be no way to tell if he was hypersensitive / severely allergic).

I've had rats for 20 years and dealt with many things over that time but I've never had something happen like this. P/Tumours usually have gradual signs, most cancers will cause severe weight loss were ratties completely go off food and drink regardless of help, signs of visible pain; they just give up and shut down so you know when to 'make the call'.
So, I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else.

Post operative blood clot that caused a Stroke ?
Underlying P/T
Or that the cyst that was removed could have actually been cancer that had spread?
Petit Mal Epilespy caused by Meds?
Extreme Reaction to Meds ?

I am almost as confused as Nudie... (apologies for the essay) I would be grateful of your experience and opinions.. thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Enrobactin and Baytril are different brand names of the same antibiotic. They might be available in different concentrations so the dose amount may be different, though. I have my doubts that his issues are related to the one dose of enro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.. I really do appreciate it and it has made me feel a lot better. Nudie has never had to have a dose of Baytril either but we've used it with some of our past rats without a problem. Mostly the very old in palliative care. We've all had to face saying goodbye to our furries on this forum .. and for us out of the 24+ we've had over the years it's been at least 50% (nearly always due to cancers)... still it never ever gets any easier.

Also, I didn't realise the meds where a different brand of the same thing so out of curiosity.. what is the difference .. is it the strength of the Antibiotic or just the name only ?

I am feeling a little more rational about it (I guess I just got myself so upset about it. So little man is going to the vets tomorrow. From there ... on to the Rainbow to join his Bro Moley and all our past Furries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts