Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm sure all of you who have done research on rat diets know about the hazards of too much protein, espicially in bucks and/or elderly rats. (

So, how much of your rats' diets are protein? What is their main source of it?

My rats main course of protein is the base of their grain mix. I use Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Formula for Dogs. I like that brand in general a lot because of the all natural ingredient list. It contains no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or bleached ingredients or corn, soy, wheat, eggs, dairy products, or sunflower oil. The protein is listed at 16.5% and the fat at 6%, so, in addition to my mix, I think it fits in quite well. :)

They also get chicken wing and short thigh bones with some meat and skin attached when every I have them, so maybe every two weeks or so. I really don't think they get much meat based protein other then that...

So, how about your kids? How do you satisfy their protein needs?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I give a 20% protein lab block. I tried a 14% and my rats didn't do as well on it.... they seem to thrive on the 20% protein lab block.

Meat is a very occassional treat, and I only give pieces about the size of my pinky nail. Once or twice a year I will cook and egg and give it to them to have fun with, but it is far too much protein to give often especially with the staple I am feeding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is blocks pretty much their primary diet? I've looked all over for a good block that I could get near by, but I could never find one, and it's too much of a pain in the butt for me to order them online. Shipping prices kill me! What brand do you use?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, my rats get mainly free fed lab block.

Some veggies if we happen to be eating them at dinner.

I'm lucky and a local feed company actually manufactures a lab block. It is based off of a Purina diet though, and then just modified slightly.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Just started feeding Mazuri 6F (16% protein)...the rats love it. I free-feed lab blocks, with veggies, occasional fruit and occasional protein.
Before this I was feeding LabDiet 5001...much higher protein but it was all I could get at the time.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
picasso sorts her food and avoids the mazuri lab-blocks like the plague, so i throw in soynuts for her since they're an awesome source of protein with no salts or other useless crap. i don't think she eats very many of those either though, and since she's hairless she needs a little bit more protein than mozart, so she gets chicken and egg sometimes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use buy in the bag rat food (apparently compleate diets) but top up with what i'm eating but usually before its cooked so there no added stuff. If giving them protien I also just give them tiny bits-they go mad of tuna. Tonight Im at my grans and we had roast lamb-I dont cook meat like that so they're getting the bone to chew seens as its their holidays :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts