Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered an awesome treat for rats: nuts still in their shells! I was at the grocery store last week and spotted a bag of mixed nuts in the shell (almonds, walnuts, chestnuts, and Brazil nuts) for $5, so I bought it. Man are they a hit. xP After I finished cleaning out their cage, I put a nut in each of their hammocks, and within minutes they were chasing each other around, stealing each other's nuts, and hiding away in corners to gnaw on their prizes. xD

I really like this treat because it doubles as a toy and a boredom breaker, as well as giving them some exercise while I'm asleep or not around. It also lasts a lot longer than a regular treat because they have to chew through the shell to get to the good stuff. The only downside is that the nuts themselves are pretty high in fat, so they only get them about once a week (usually right after I've cleaned their cage).

Just thought I'd make a post about it, just in case anyone was looking for a fun, natural, and cheap toy/treat for their ratties. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awesome idea! I know someone with some walnut trees - I think they usually harvest in March? Definitely going to hit them up for a bag when they do. Thanks for the great suggestion :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
That sounds like a really good deal! I give whole walnuts and macadamia nuts to my rats from time to time, they take all night to get to the inside of them. Chamois has no patience so he seems to usually wait for Wolf to make a hole in one and he steals Wolf's haha
I should have a look around to see if I can find the other types of whole nuts too

·
Registered
953 Posts
It seems like this is the season to find some nice mixed nuts in shells. Hazelnuts and brazil nuts are favorites here. They are kind of an enrichment toy/food all in one. It takes probably a lot more energy to get into it than the nut actually provides. My girls love them. My boys are more lazy, so most seem to wait around for the more energetic boys to make holes in them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mimsy: That's funny, Brazil nuts are my boys' favorites too. xD My guys can be pretty lazy, but as soon as any kind of food appears, all bets are off.

MousE190: YUP. xP I keep my guys in my room and trying to sleep while they're gnawing on nuts is basically impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts