Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my two girls:

This is Nyah (pronounced N-eye-ah, and named after my favorite track on the Mission Impossible 2 original score, and because I think it sounded unique and pretty.) She is a gray hooded with black eyes, who is very energetic, and likes to gnaw on anything soft or hard. By the way, for anyone who comments on her eating the CremeSaver, she found it while exploring my room, and it is not something I will allow her to eat. We found Nyah at a Petsmart in their small animals area. She was the last rat sold there to date (she was by herself, and they haven't had any new rats there since.) She seems not to have had much contact with other rats, and she's been by herself for about 1.5 weeks (I let her out for a couple hours a day to explore and familiarize herself with me,) until today, when I got her a cage mate:

This is Ruby (named because of her eye color.) She is an amber dumbo. I bought her today from Pets Plus. She is much more tame than Nyah, probably due to her being unfamiliar with her surroundings, was used to being handled, was housed with four other female dumbos (better socialized,) and apparently dumbos are inherently friendlier than other breeds. That's not to say that when Nyah wrestled with her in an attempt to assert herself, she didn't hold her own. It's really hard to get a good picture of her because her eyes are incredibly reflective, so the flash can easily vilify her.

Here is a picture of the two together:

So far they seem to be getting along relatively well. Nyah isn't particularly used to being around other rats, but is eager to interact with Ruby. Ruby is timid right now, and is adjusting to her surroundings.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Dumbos aren't inherently more friendly, since they're just plan old rats like all the others. But they're often the products of more careful breeding and are hence handled more. Lovely ratties. :)

ETA: Are you certain she's a dumbo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ETA: Are you certain she's a dumbo?
Well, her ears are slightly larger and a little more towards the sides of her head (I believe the term is tulip,) and she has a shorter snout and a wider head than Nyah, who is standard. Ruby kind of resembles a giant hamster in that regard. The cage I picked her out of was labeled "Dumbo Rats." Outside of those points, I suppose i'm not sure, and really couldn't care less what she is.

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/mammals/rodents/rod3916.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very pretty! I think what you did for Nyah was very special, not only adopting her when she was alone and lonely, but bringing her in a companion so she can learn to socialize and have someone to share her life with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.