Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of several Facebook rat pages and it saddens me how many people have obese rats. I understand that males are larger, but some of these guys look like they can barely move they are so big. We all talk about URIs, but poor diet and letting your rat get that obese is also slowly killing it. It just frustrates me that no one seems to take it seriously that your rats life span will be shorter because you weren't responsible enough to monitor a healthy diet for them. You are killing them. Ugh.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Obesity is bad for every living things. For rats it is even worse than for us because of their short lifespan; the consequences are quick and difficult to reverse. For a rat being obese for 1 month is like us being obese for 30+ months! So you can see that just 1 month of being obese for a rat is a lot. Plus good luck getting an obese rat to lose weight...I agree it is sad. It is bad foods, plus not enough out of cage excercise. I weigh my rats at least once a month so I know right away if I need to watch more closely their food intake.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think part of the problem is a mis-understanding about obesity and what causes weight gain. I think people put too much emphasis on exercise and not enough on diet. You'll here owners say "but my rat is lazy and won't exercise" or "my rat runs on its wheel but is still fat" Let me tell you something: Lack of exercise does not cause obesity. Your rat is not fat because it doesn't exercise enough, your rat is fat because its consumes more calories than its body needs. Don't get me wrong, exercise is great and it definitely does aid in weightloss but if your rat is bigger than it should be, you need to think about the food you are giving them. Not only that but the portion sizes too. Rats have smaller bodies than humans, they require less so while a handfull of nuts daily is a good healthy sized snack to a human, if you were to give that to a rat everyday it would likely become obese. GIve smaller portions and give in moderation and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Haha...guilty as charged. xP

In all seriousness, my rats aren't obese. They could definitely stand to lose a few grams, but they aren't outrageously large. I let it slide for awhile because I got them from a lady who almost never handled them, so when I got them they needed a lot of bribery. xP I've had them for about six months now, and in the past couple weeks I've started to notice that they're a bit chunkier than they used to be...I've got one more week of school before class is over for winter break (aside from exams), and my project once school is out is to completely reorganize and revamp their play area (aka my bedroom). The setup they have now was always meant to be temporary anyway, just a small simple space to help get them used to me.

We've already started seriously cutting back treats, and feeding healthier treats when they do get some. I do feel bad for letting them put on the extra grams, but we'll get it sorted out.:p

·
Registered
994 Posts
My rats have been chunking up ever since my mom has been looking after them, I think shes been spoiling them. I have some work to do when they're back in my care. Lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Out of my two girls one is quite slim while my other is a little chunky monkey as I call her. She's not obese but I don't really understand why she's so much bigger than her sister I give small portions they rarely get fruit and I don't feed any processed treats or treat very often anyways. They both get the same amount of time out and they have a wheel that they adore. :p Guess she's just naturally bigger! She's my only fat rat as my Boys are all a good weight.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am a member of several Facebook rat pages and it saddens me how many people have obese rats. I understand that males are larger, but some of these guys look like they can barely move they are so big.
There was recently a post where people showed of their 'fat rats' to see who had the fattest rat. Most of these rats were't just 'chunky', but seriously overweight to the point where their fat rolls hung down to where you couldn't see their legs. Some rats are bigger because of genetics or past history, but these rats where clearly being overfed and will probably die from obesity related causes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The is so sad. It is so irresponsible to let it get to that point, let alone show it off as a point of pride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts