Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have five girls and seen three generations of cage alphas since I've had rats and I've never seen this before. Before I brought home Mica and Violet, Ruby was alpha. Now Violet has risen to the ranks and overthrown Ruby as alpha. She's also a brat and it causes small tussles here and there.
Now Violet isn't the most cuddliest rat; she's the exact opposite. She doesn't really like being handled, hates being picked up and you can only pet her if she decided you're worthy enough to lay a finger on her well groomed fur :/ honestly she tolerates me. But she absolutely unconditionally loves my husband.

Now after a bit of background on her let's move to an hour and a half ago.

The girls were playing while I was deep cleaning the cage, this is nothing unusual. But I had to take the litter boxes out to clean them and to connect a two inch tall piece of plastic around the rim to try to avoid the litter being kicked out. So I'm sitting on the bed punching holes in the litter box when she runs up to me, perches on my thigh and poofs up. She also beat all four feet on my thigh and side where she was perched in a quick rapid beats , it reminded me of a hide drum being hit. She also put her teeth on me several times, something she's never done. She's never bit anyone before so I'm thinking that this whole display is her showing dominance.

I can't have her doing this. I made this thread to either confirm that "yes she's displaying dominance" or "no she's just being weird" which I highly highly doubt that.

If it is dominance what's the best way to get it through her little rodent head that she's most definitely not the alpha of everyone, mummy is.

I'm thinking that the reason she's doing this is because I was on vacation in NC visiting family for almost a month and I couldn't take them with me so my husband took care of them. When I got back Violet had barbered two patches of fur on both Ruby and Thistle's cheeks, right below the ears. She's since stopped that since I've been home but with this new behavior I'm really starting to think that me being gone that long was a bad idea as now she's trying to challenge me :/

· Registered
1,095 Posts
I highly doubt she's trying to dominate you. More than likely she just smelled something on you that caused her to behave in an aggressive manner. A lot of behavioral issues can be helped by spaying. I'm actually somewhat near you (Dearborn), and I've used the same vet since 2004 - she is awesome, especially with spays/neuters! She's in Westland.

· Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that could be it. My youngest baby is 7 1/2 weeks and quarantine just ended a few days ago but since she's still too little to do proper intros she's still being housed downstairs, the other four are upstairs. They all swarm me to smell the noobie on my clothes. So that could very well be it.

I'm not going to have Violet spayed for a number of reasons, the top two being she's not aggressive (just a brat) and I don't have the money. I have a vet in Utcia that i love but i wouldn't mind your vets info too :)

· Registered
265 Posts
I would bet that she probably did smell you little one on your clothes and wasn't too thrilled about it. She probably thought uh uh no new girls are coming around here without me having something to say about it. Your intros may be an interesting experience with that character lol I sure hope they go well though! You'll just have to go about it cautiously.

· Registered
335 Posts
That's the exact same behavior my alpha, Buffy, displays when my cat Thomas gets too close to HER cage. She poofs up, does this "war dance" (what I call it) and even makes a chuffing sound sometimes.

The interesting thing is that she doesn't seem to mind him when he's lying on the couch next to me and I have her out too. And she doesn't mind his smell on me. She just doesn't like him getting close to her cage. He's so laid back, I really don't believe he'd ever hurt the rats, but he sometimes acts like he wants to be friends with them and will go to their cage to see what they're up to. That's when Buffy goes into "warrior mode." LOL

· Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll just have to go about it cautiously.
Oh yes, I've done this dance several times now and I've learned a thing or two regarding female intros. I still don't look forward to it :/
That's the exact same behavior my alpha, Buffy, displays when my cat Thomas gets too close to HER cage. She poofs up, does this "war dance" (what I call it) and even makes a chuffing sound sometimes. The interesting thing is that she doesn't seem to mind him when he's lying on the couch next to me and I have her out too. And she doesn't mind his smell on me. She just doesn't like him getting close to her cage. He's so laid back, I really don't believe he'd ever hurt the rats, but he sometimes acts like he wants to be friends with them and will go to their cage to see what they're up to. That's when Buffy goes into "warrior mode." LOL
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's rat has done this, i was honestly concerned! It didn't even register that that's what it more than likely was. I just assumed she was challenging me due to my extended stay in NC. My absence did disrupt the order of my mischief :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.