Rat Forum banner

Odd coat pattern

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hey-Fay 
#1 ·
Miss Juniper's always a rather odd pattern in her coat. I got her when she was right at four weeks and I noticed then that she had a strange pattern. She was born on 9/15/2014 and is now a few days from six weeks old. I'm not sure if the pattern is just her moulting or what but it's becoming more prominent as she ages.
I had made a thread asking if she's mink when I first got her but with her being in her baby coat it was impossible to tell for sure. She still has the softness of a baby.
Red Tartan Plaid Pattern Design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx2D3h7y07c

Mammal Rat Muridae Rodent Muroidea
"my cookie!"

See less See more
#4 ·
She's actually a light grey, the two darker splotches are a darker grey/brownish color. My camera made it look a little agouti :/
The darker patches match the mink rat in this link perfectly: http://www.afrma.org/ratselfs.htm
None of my current or past rats have had this happen so it stumped me o-o

Korra, That's what I was thinking but she's had that pattern since day one

#7 ·
It does! XDKkrats, i think it's reversed. I think the short darker patches is her adult coat coming through and the longer grey is her baby coat.

#9 ·
Agreed, there's more of the short darker hairs and less of the long grey baby hair today than yesterday. She looks so goofy lol

#10 ·
Definitly moulting out of her baby fur, thats why theres such a difference in the fluffy baby coat and the sleeker adult coat. She looks like a bad black or chocolate on the monitor but its really hard to tell when not in natural light so your probably closer with mink (which is the colour that can look like most colours lol)

#11 ·
I've just had a "doh!!" moment. Figured out why she's splotchy; for now she's housed alone and can only groom herself so much. I feel like a moron lol

Her darker patches really are spot on mink. I'll have to get better photos soon. Thanks, Isamu!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.