Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems a little strange to me. My dog Jeffery will come up to Ratty, and lick her and sniff her butt. :oops: He does not scare her, or I would keep them apart. Maybe this means he likes her? :roll: I do not think he is curious, we have had her for three weeks. :?:

·
Registered
520 Posts
My dog does the same thing anytime I get a new rat. Assuming he doesn't have any aggressive tendencies, it should be fine.

My dog and rats watch TV together on the couch. They will clean his ears/teeth/nails and he licks them all over. They love each other.

Also - All dog/rat time should be closely supervised!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah my hyperactive terriers think that my rats are treats, you can see it in the way they oogle my rats and whine at the cage with their tails wagging. but i let my one dog play with picasso anyway (VERY closely supervised) because she is very well-behaved and listens to me very well. even though i know she wants to eat one and carry it off, she won't if i am telling her to "be nice" and instead she just stares at my rat (only picasso because i'm sure mozart would scurry and maybe cause an instant animal urge from my dog) and gets nervous when picasso tried to crawl onto her and i'm telling her to do nothing about it, lol.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i let jack (fat old one-eyed dwarf hamster) play with the babies the day before they left (owner was staying with us and moved out), and him and spazzy rufus go swimming together in a plastic tote when its super hot. they are very closely supervised because jack thinks that they are all hamsters with tails and tries to separate them from thier tails...lol. rocky "doesnt do hamsters" and gets all puffed up when jack tries to say hi, so i just keep them apart. i can't wait until my little wolfy is old enough to start playing with the bigger boys, because they sniff each other through the cage bars and seem like they want to play, but he's still tooooo little to play with the rough tumblers. as for my dove (amadeus) he wants nothing to do with any other animal when they aren't in their 'rooms' (cages), but if he's the only one out he'll strut around like he owns the place and tap on the cages and tease the rats, the hamster is always burried somewhere so amadeus cant get to him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts