Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three female rats, all about twelve weeks old. They all came from a local pet shop and aren't to used to me, yet. One of my girls, Pip, has had some odd problems. About three days after we got her, she completely stopped using her hind legs. She just dragged herself around in and out of the cage. We thought it might be a tumor, but she didn't show any signs of pain. That is when we bought the third rat in case something did happen to Pip.

I went out of town for three days, so my grandmother cared for the girls. When I came home, Pip was actually walking! I was so happy and thought everything would be better. A sat down and allowed the girls to ran around and play, but something else was wrong with Pip. She would suddenly stop and lower herself to the floor. Her arms and legs would spread out, her head rested on the ground, and her eyes started to squint. She was shaking a little, too. Sometimes when this happens, she starts thumping one of her back legs, but I'm not sure if it the same one all the time. This will last for a minute or less. When that stops, she will slowly start to crawl for a few seconds. Then, Pip darts off. When this happens in the cage, she hides in her igloo.

What is happening to Pip? I was planning on taking her to the vet. Money is tight and I really hope it isn't anything serious. Can anyone help out?

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, that sounds about right. Pip does shut down like the rat in the video, and I do try to comfort her. She doesn't race around the cage like the rat in the video, though. I have noticed some of those signs as I watch Pip. So all I can do is take her to the vet for medicine and try to keep her comfortable, huh?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening... If she has chronic seizures/strokes, she'll likely be on medication for the rest of her life, which may not even stop them completely. You could try to work out a payment plan with your vet to help you out a little. It could be genetic or it could be some underlying issue that we can't physically see. Your vet may be able to tell you what's causing it. I wish for the best for you two. <3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts