Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks...first time poster here, so hopefully I'm not asking a stupid question.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone had an idea on why my fuzzy little girl is making some funny noises. I've sifted back through the forums and nothing seems to quite match the noises I'm hearing. On an off she's been making what I can only describe as extremely quiet squeaky/snuffling noises. It only seems to happen when she's just been woken up, and even then I've only heard it two or three times in the past month. It doesn't sound congested and she seems happy and energetic. Do rats make "hey, I'm sleepy and you just woke me up" sounds? She's a pretty quite rat overall, I can't recall ever hearing her squeak. Any thoughts?

Also, should someone suggest I take her to a vet, what can I expect to pay for a check-up? I have no clue as to what is reasonable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've never heard of noises like this. Sorry, I'm not much help there. Though if you only very rarely hear them then I don't see it as being a large problem. What kind of bedding/litter are you using?

This might sound silly, but she's not sneezing is she?

I can't remember what a vet visit cost me, but you can expect to pay from $40-60 I'd imagine. It's a good idea now while your rat is healthy to go ahead and call every vet in your area, or find a resource online for rat vets in your area. Call and make sure they handle rats, and also what their charge for a checkup would be. I have a spreadsheet full of vets near me that I've called checking prices.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no sneezing. I would have been more alarmed if she was.

As for bedding, I'm using CareFresh which is biodegradable wood pulp fiber. It's what I've had in her cage for the year-plus that I've had her with no obvious problems.

I'll have to look into a list of vets for the Los Angeles area. Like you said, better to look while there's no emergency.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link and for sharing your thoughts. Both are very appreciated!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my little girl started making the noise again last night after being out of the cage for a while. My husband and I listened very closely, and we think it's probably a new vocalization for when she's getting excited and playful. It's a weird sound, and it's pretty loud, but I don't think it's from her lungs or from any sort of nasal problems. I'll keep an eye on it none-the-less.

I guess after a year you still can't know everything about your rat. :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My rats make a noise that is somewhere between heavy breathing/sniffing/low sqeaking. It's not bruxing, I'm sure, nor is it sneezing or anything bad. I think it's just communication, the like to do it around me, when they're curious or I'm petting them. But they'll do it to each other, and when they wake up, too. Might that be the same kind of noise?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That seems to fit the description of what I'm hearing pretty well. It almost sounds a little anxious, but more like "I wanna play" anxious. I was mostly startled since it was a new sound for her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rats can sometimes be "noisy" when they wake up and when there are new smells like during out time. I would just keep an eye on her. It's almost like humans having to blow their nose in the mornings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took one of my girls into the vet because she was making - what it seems - to be the same kind of noises. It was like a deep chatter / jibber jabber / low, throaty squeaking. It pretty loud to the point that I had to move out of my room at night so I could sleep. But it would only be at night when she got all energetic and especially if something made her excited (i.e. - getting treats or a new toy).

The vet (who specialized in small animals) said that she had a very mild repiratory infection and gave me antibiotics. He also told me that there was a "yes and no" factor to her noises as related to her infection, stating that rats will make all kinds of surprising noises. I took her in for a check up about 3 weeks after treatment - she was still making the noises too. Luckily, she was completely fine!

So yeah, my girls just happen to be chatter bugs but at least I have the reassurance from my vet that rats can make all sorts of noises. It's ALWAYS good to get it checked out though because you never know if it's a sign of illness.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My girls make a very high pitched chirp that is usually followed by boggling eyes, bruxes, and teeth chittering... I am assuming it's an excited or frightened vocalization. They are very healthy and sociable ratties so i'm assuming it's nothing to worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts