Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have realized I have two sets of boys. I now have the big boys on the bottom and the little boys on top. They don't seem to get along one vet trip and weeks of introduction later we're still having issues. The newest one involved Brisby and the big boys. Brisby will sit by the *hole* in the middle floor of the FN (for those who don't have FNs there is an opening in the middle floor which you can close up with the ramp or leave open) and every time he sees a big boy he makes a loud horrible squeal. The first time I heard it I thought one of the big boys had grabbed his tail through the bars or was biting him. But there is no actual contact between the boys. Does anyone know why they are doing this?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It sounds a lot like what one of my boys, Ben, used to do when he was younger and suffering his 'fur phobia'. He would just sit their, rise up occasionally, and squeak in the furry's direction.

Gus, however, has just recently started doing this on random occasions when Jack (his brother) is getting a little rowdier than usual during their playtimes, he will just sit there and squeal at Jack until he backs off.

Maybe it's a fear thing? You hear of them frog things that make loads of noise when cornered, don't you? It could be a defence mechanism - a rats way of saying they're uncomfortable with the proximity of another rat? "You're bigger, I'm smaller....HELP!"

Who knows, it'll take me a lifetime to understand the what, where's and why's of our little furry genious'!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Its a fear thing

They either over come it with time & patience of getting them to a successful intro or they live with it forever.

I have one success story & one failure story right now at this time with my current rats.

You might want to pick up something that will completely block the hole so that the little one isn't stressed every time he sees the other rats. This could be very counter-productive toward ever having a successful introduction. The big boys could very well be nipping at toes & such without you knowing. Those glue down floor tiles are great at covering those wire openings where you pulled up the ramp. You can find them at a places like Home Depot. I found some that were very cheap at one of the "Everything's a Dollar" chains. Not sure if you have those in your area but I'm sure you have a Home Depot or the like. Just lay it over the hole. If it is the pre-glued type, just leave that paper backing because you don't want that sticky stuff exposed. I also use these to cover the wire shelves on one of my boy-cages because I don't like them to have to walk on that type of surface.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boy Jack does this. Eventually Perry and Bacardi started climbing the wall and nipping his toes to make him stop, but even when they weren't anywhere near him, he'd squeal. Eventually I put him and Puck on the bottom, so I'd stop panicking and he'd stop getting nibbled on.

Now, they all seem happy. Crazy boys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have heard one of my rats do this... the most recent male I bought.

One of my other males, Tiny, makes the same sound when I bath him. He is deathly afraid of water... I do it in the tub, he poops himself before I even put him in... This will let you know how smart they are. I always bathed him in the sink... and he would fight and fear poop, and he would begin getting scared when I brought him to the sink... like when he heard the sound of the water start, however, when it is NOT time for a bath, the sound of water does not cause a reaction. So, I thought to try the tub, since more room and I could try to help him over this fear... well he rides on my shoulder a lot, sometimes I have to walk in the bathroom, so he knows the room, it was never a bother... well I brought him in for a bath, I started the water with him on my shoulder, and before I even was ready to put him in, he was pooping himself letting them drop from my shoulder. Like WTF? How did he know what my intentions were?

Anyway, he made "the sound", when I bathed him as usual... It is certainly a "fear" sound. I think it is more a mercy cry, like a kid crying "uncle", and I think that it is supposed to signal willing submission, to let the dominant know there is no need to go further. Rats seem to know the philosophy of BDSM ;)

Anyway, I think it is normal, and the other rats will get the message, and they will eventually work out the caste levels on their own.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yashu said:
Rats seem to know the philosophy of BDSM ;)
:oops: Oh my....

:lol:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You should definitely cover the opening. You could get coroplast and put it under the pan itself or stick down tiles or a block of wood...otherwise you could have some terrible injuries to tails or toes.

The little one could be frightened or even aggressive. Several of my rats will screech and huff and puff at rats in nearby cages. Sometimes its a warning to "stay away" or its a "I will hurt you if you get close". Either way you need to cover that opening.

What type of intro's did you try?

·
Registered
192 Posts
glindella said:
yashu said:
Rats seem to know the philosophy of BDSM ;)
:oops: Oh my....

:lol:
Yes, I consider it a rattie safeword. It makes sense too... You hear them do it during wrestling, but not so dramatic... It is interesting because it really shows how smart and aware rats really are. They make this sound... they certainly don't like whatever it is that is causing it, but intead of being immediately aggressive, they almost beg for mercy instead. In my experience, rats really do not want to hurt their human companions once they have made "the connection". They would rather beg for our mercy than lash out... they would rather cry out in submission than truly hurt us. Tiny has had many chances to bite me during the baths... but instead of biting, he makes the squeal, he reaches for me like I am his saviour, not his enemy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
[quote="Yes, I consider it a rattie safeword."[/quote]

Which should we be more concerned with, rats knowing what a "safeword" is or the owners. =P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts