Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my nebulizer last Thursday and started Odin on home nebulising treatments Friday. He had one treatment Friday and then another today. He seems to hate it more and more and nearly breaks out of the tub. I have to watch him closely because I'm sure with much effort this nearly 700g (well, close enough 650-670g) fellow could do it.

It's just today, he seemed aweful. He seemed lethargic and he doesn't seem to have much energy. I'm going to keep an eye on him later tonight. But he didn't run up to the food bowl when I put a TINY bit of grain mix in for a treat after his treatment. Here he is today before his treatment:

and here he is during the treatment. Warning, it's a little heart breaking to see him in there. He struggled worse later on, trying to get out D: There is a hole on the side he tends to hang around and try to breathe out of. The nebuliser pumps in fresh air and medicine combined but he hates it. Poor fellow:

I just don't know. He doesn't seem happy and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm going to wait and see what he's like after a few treatments then get advice from the vet. He's only being nebulised with 1cc baytril and 7cc of saline and on her advice she told me to do it 3x/week. At first she suggested every 24-48 hours but for some reason changed it to 3x/week when I went to pick up the medicine D: I hope to get a script from her because I found the Baytril online for much cheaper.

I'm also wondering if I shoudl bring up putting something else in the mix as well? Any advice is appreciated I really want my poor one eyed big guy to feel better. He's a big sweety once he does.

But yeah, if this doesn't start to work and he just continues being like he was today I think it's time to put him down. When do you know? I hate to see him suffer, it isn't right.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Poor both of you :(

Does he feel unwell all the time?
If he does and the treatment doesnt make things any better maybe he would be better at peace. You're the best one to say when he is miserable I think
:|

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
that poor dear. my grammy used to have to use a mist machine which is pretty much the same thing but with a mask and she understood what was going on. but she HATED it with a passion. she was never happier medicine wise when they came out with a pill that did the same thing (for the life of me i can't remember what its called now).

my question is why is odin using baytril in it. i thought baytril was an antibiotic. if his lungs are scarred and inflammed shouldn't he be on a steriod like pednisone instead?

as for when you know its time to let go, i find they will let me knwo themselves for the most part. there are the expections when i had to make the choice for them but generally they'll act very sad and tired. they don't have an interest in even their favorite of foods anymore. the only one i had to make the choice for was myght. she had cancer and would have kept fighting until her last breath but i could tell she was in pain. she would force herself to eat and you could tell from the way she held her food and the tiny little nibbles she would take she wasn't eating because she wanted to. i don't know how to explain it right but it was hard to let her go even though i knew i was ending her suffering.

i would talk to the vet about the medications and do some research on steroids and lung scar tissue and treatments for humans (asthma as well). you may be able to apply something from the humans to the rat, it was probably tested on rats originally anyway. after that i would give the medications a week to work then see how odin is feeling and what he's telling you.

i'm so sorry your odin is so sick. i hope everything turns out well

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the normal human medicine would be brochodilators, streoids, anti bs if there is infection and nebulised saline to help clear secretions

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I don't get about my vet:
http://www.aemv.org/about.htm

She is the president of the AEMV! I mean WOW, what's up with that? Shouldn't she know what to prescribe me? But everyone else's vet seems to think radically different then her in rat care. Along with the rat guide. I just don't get it. I will try to e-mail her asking about the steroid and bronchulator as well as life time oral antibiotics. I'll show her the research via e-mail and see what she says.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Your Odin doesn't look bad at all really. I have seen much worse. He is calm inside the neb container, and its normal for him to hang out at the fresh air hole. Rats depend on their sense of smell and will always gravitate to it. Lets them know if predators etc are nearby. Plus its the way Out. LOL

injectable baytril and saline is definitely what I would use at this point. His lungs don't seem bad enough to use steroids with yet. She may add them later on.

Give it 3-4 days and see where you are. You might be surprised. If you feel he's not improving ask for a steroid (keep him on the abs because of the immunity suppression issues) and see if that helps any inflammation.

Scarred lungs/pulmonary abscesses are horrid, and he might have to be on a steroid cocktail to keep him comfortable as palliative care. :(

He looks ill, but not suffering at this point. As an objective observer of course. Its much harder to tell with your own rat because he's Yours, and you feel him "suffer". Thats when you need your ratfriends. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand that. I e-mailed them with links to ratguide asking about it. I think I am overeacting/being over protective. I mean my vet did tons of training and is the president of AEMV. That has to say something about her. Also she is the vet for EARPS as well so they trust her with their rats, why can't I? I'm just very paranoid and want the best for my rats.

But asking about it will help me calm down I think. When I confronted her before about adding things I think she was having a bad day. She's very over worked and everywhere whenever she is at the clinic. I usually have an appointment but the phone rings off the hook with questions the receptionist/technicians can't fully answer, there are usually 1-2 other appointments going on at the same time with more to follow leaving her going from room to room, there are usually emergancy cases in the back and she usually has to be at some lecture out of town somewhere. That is a ton of stuff. I couldn't live like that.

I'm sure she has her reasons in that Odin is just 10 months old O: Poor fellow, so if he is going to deal with this all his life he has (HOPEFULLY!) Several more months to live. He probably needs lower doses of antibiotics/etc so they will be more effective in the future.

I also asked her about online pharmacies. Useing these would save me a BUNDLE and I could afford to do treatments every day with multiple medicines if needed. I hope she says she will write a script for me! At least for the injectible Baytril.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts