Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so time has come to start looking for a cagemate for Milo..

However, I'm not entirely sure he'll accept a cagemate. He's the sweetest, friendliest little dude and loves any human interaction he can get (even if it's from complete strangers, he'll happily hop onto their shoulder to give them kisses and bum a ride) but he hasn't been in contact with another rat (besides my boys) for who knows how long - I'd say two months at the very least. And the only time he's been with another rat in that period was during intros with Leo and Stitch when he got his eye bit and now removed... so I'm not sure if he'll be very accepting to a cagemate - any opinions on this?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely do want to try to get him a buddy but I don't want to stress him out in the process. Right now he gets a good bit of human interaction; I'm cyberschooled, so he's out on my lap and the couch with me while I'm doing my work (5+ hours), he rides around the house with me while I'm doing housework and etc., and he gets free-range in my room for around 4 hours each night. I'm constantly adding new things and moving stuff around in his part of the cage to keep him busy when I'm not able to be with him, like during the night. For tonights activity I strung up two new toys and a cheerio line from the top of the cage and made a new digging box for him.

All in all he seems pretty happy, though I caught him chewing on his front toe nail when he was on my lap today. Just the one, all the others are fine and normal length, no chew marks, but I think it might have to do with loneliness, possibly??

Anyway, I'm going to look into baby rats around here for a cagemate... (I'm only worried that he WILL reject it and then I'll end up with a baby rat that I've already gotten attached to and no where to keep it...) and I was maybe thinking about letting him "pick" his own cagemate? This would be after finding a decent litter/rescue around here (or if all else fails the pet store; rats have always looked in fairly good conditions) and would be after me making sure the babies all look in good health before exposing Milo to them.

I don't know, does anyone have an opinion on that? I just thought maybe it'd help him out if he could meet the baby so early (though this would break quarantine - but then again another 2-3 weeks of being alone might not be so good for Milo??) and also I could see his reaction toward the other rat(s) before taking it home, because he hasn't been in contact with another since the intro with Leo and Stitch went wrong. If he gets noticeably scared/stressed/etc, even around baby rats, what should my next course of action be?

Lots of questions and I apologize, I didn't think I'd ever be in a situation like this. My dad's thoroughly against getting another rat ("Four rats?? You're out of your mind!") but my mom understands he'll need one, so we'll probably just end up bringing it home and asking for forgiveness later (what we do with most of the pets, anyway.)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would really recommend getting him 2 little cage mates, this will help take the load off him and the babies. Rats introduce a lot better in pairs as then they arent the single point of attention (which can be a bit daunting).

Have you read the carrier method of intros? I find this works very well to get rats over there fears. if they are still aoviding each other and seemingly very scared (or being foofy but not truelly aggressive with each other) i move mine into the smallest carrier ive got and go for a walk or drive. This puts them in physical contact with each other and the walk/drive is a scary unfamilier situation so they end up drawing comfort from each other.

If you can find a good rescue or breeder who quarentines then you dont need to as long as the new rats are in the clear (and you trust there word)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me I would love to get two cagemates for him but that really doesn't seem possible... My dad would probably grudgingly accept one but if I brought two home he'd have a cow... :/

I have read the carrier method, I used that for Milo's intro to Leo and Stitch. Things went fine for hours in the carrier but within an hour in the cage (which had everything removed and had been scrubbed down thoroughly) Milo got bit. Hopefully things will go a lot better with Milo and the new guy, it is a very good method.

Thank you for the help! So far I have had zero luck finding any rats around here that aren't 2 hours away.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a baby for sale about an hour away and emailed the poster. Hopefully things go well and I'll hear back soon! I just have to do everything through mom and be sneaky about it..

My younger sister found out I was looking to get another rat and threw a massive fit... "why does SHE get FOUR rats and I have nothing!?" (the reason is obviously not because of her utter lack of responsibility... definitely not...) and thus has my dad (who I nearly had comfortable with a new addition) going on a big "No, you're not bringing another rat into the house unless you want to get rid of one you already have - or you can give Milo and a new one to your sister." which is absolutely out of the question, I wouldn't trust her with a pet rock, and I'm of course not going to get rid of one of the kids.

The joys of being a 15 year old that can't make her own decisions! :/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Man do I not at all miss being 15 and having to sneak the rats in! It won't be long 'til you are able to do it all, though.

I don't have much advice on the new bub situation -- I'm in the same one, really. I can offer my sympathy, though, because it's not a fun situation, is it? I really hope that you can get it worked out; Milo sounds like a pretty darn spoiled and loved baby.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im kinda thankful that my dad never had an issue with what animal i brought home as long as I cared for it. Of course I never did so without telling him.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's always a battle bringing a new animal into the house when it comes to my dad. He's suuuper cheap - we can afford it hands down, but he's such a penny-pincher. We usually do end up bringing the pets home without telling him because he flat out refuses otherwise (like right now). Honestly would rather do it all with his permission but he's so stubborn it's impossible to work with most of the time.

But yep, definitely not fun ruffles! :( Thank you, and I hope you can find a new little one to bring home as well. I just want to do all I can for him, he's such a sweet little rat. He laid in my lap bruxing and boggling for at least two hours tonight (one eye rat boggling is certainly interesting, I'll have to video it one day) and I just feel like a horrible person putting him back in the cage all alone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still haven't heard back from the email person but both parents agreed that when we go buy rat food tomorrow I can check out the rats up at PetSmart... if they have a young rat that's in good health I'll be taking it home with me! I know how horrible it is to support pet shops but I really want to get him a friend as soon as I can. Plus our PetSmart's rats (though kept in tanks) seem to be happy, alert, and friendly, and the cages are clean with food + water every time I go in, so they're not being kept in the most horrible conditions out there.

Just have to do that long process of quarantine againnnn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts