Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive offered to tame my mates little girls hamster, its about 3 months old and doesnt have any human contact cos she wont get it out cos it bites.
As with her previous rat, i offered to tame it as again by 4 months old it still hadnt been out of the cage cos it bit...

She was a fiesty one to start but after two weeks of plenty of human interaction from myself and my daughter, plenty of yoggies and chicken,broccoli and potato dinners she soon came round and was the sweetest thing... altho i must admit to getting a few nasty bites on the way.

She went back home 4 weeks after coming to me and had no further problems.
Now, the question is... Do i try to tame the hammy in the same way as a would a rat who hasnt had any human contact.
My daughter has a hammy but from day one when teeny its had constant daily interaction, constant hugs and playtime and has NEVER once bitten or wriggled to get away, shes so chilled and docile.

Hence im not totally sure how to go about taming a bitter hammy but got to have a go or the poor things just gonna be shoved in the corner with the occassional feed dropped thru the bars.

Its male and when i got him out hes a frantic wriggler, scratcher and bitter.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yes - I once got a hamster from a friend who didn't hold it because it bit. It needs PLENTY of handling - the more the better. I never really used treats outside the cage, as I find that they don't tend to appreciate them/see the significance in them like rats do. They'll pouch them and eat it later - once they've forgotten who gave it to them

Maybe try the 'wrap in a blanket/towel' approach, or use thick gloves to bring it out of the cage. I've always found the best approach to a tempermental hamster is to face it head on - give it the 'you're doing what *I* want you to do, not what *YOU* want to do, gottit?' attitude. Once they've broken the habit of getting their own way, they'll calm down quickly. I'm a hardass when it comes to taming pets =/

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.. thanks.. ill give that a shot...
and yeah. ive noticed they stash the treats for later too..lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm , makes me kinda angry.If the owner of the hamster isnt prepared to put the time and effort in to socialize the animal themselves then they shouldnt have an animal in the first place.Palming it off onto someone else to train is both irresponsible and detremental to learning.She should do it herself so she knows what to do next time or just stop buying animals she knows nothing about.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Gary26Uk said:
Hmm , makes me kinda angry.If the owner of the hamster isnt prepared to put the time and effort in to socialize the animal themselves then they shouldnt have an animal in the first place.Palming it off onto someone else to train is both irresponsible and detremental to learning.She should do it herself so she knows what to do next time or just stop buying animals she knows nothing about.
Sometimes people are just too afraid. If you get bitten once, you expect to get bitten again. And the more afraid you get, the more the animal will bite. It's a viscious circle that not everyone can break easily

At least there's someone out there willing to tame this rogue hammy for her, to better it's life and, who knows, maybe hers as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts