Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Up until this past summer, I had never owned…um, been owned by... rats before - until I agreed to foster a female at our local shelter who had come in with three males, was quickly separated, and put on pregnancy watch… eight babies later plus another round of fostering four brothers who were showing a few behavioural issues and needed some trust training… and well… I guess it's not a complete foster failure if I only adopted half of them, right? ;)

As of this week, all of the paperwork has been signed for the ones that I am keeping, boys have been neutered (a few months ago), and the rest have moved into adoption at the shelter in bonded pairs (2 of the three pairs are already adopted!)… so it's official… I have seven resident rats!

Introducing...

Sophie (Beige, pink eyes) - the one who started it all a.k.a. "Mom"...Calm but timid.

Henry (Beige hooded) - one of Sophie's babies. He has always been wildly attached to her, and even after being separated from her for two months (until he had been neutered+3 weeks for safety), he immediately dove under her when they were reintroduced and fell asleep like he did when he was little. I was surprised that he seemed to still remember her, and Sophie was kind of like, "Really? You're bigger than me now, buddy… but okay." …He's the boss of the family.

Amelia (Black hooded) - another of Sophie's babies. We've always been intrigued with her markings even before she got her fur - she has the silhouette of a rat on her back (even the tail and the ears)! …Spunky, sassy, and won't listen to a thing I say.

Charlotte (Beige, ruby eyes) - another of Sophie's babies, and my Sophie look-alike. Amelia's partner in crime.

Max (Black hooded) - one of the boys in the second foster group. They had been abandoned in a box at a nature park with their mom when they were just a few weeks old, and are so appreciative of everything they have now (the babies from Sophie's litter are just kind of like "Whatever, where's my kale, human?". Max is the sweetest (and clumsiest) rat that I have ever met. I call him my joyful little guy, as he's just kind of this jumble of bubbly energy.

Elliot (Black hooded dumbo) - Max's brother, and so adorable and sweet. He's reserved but friendly and always seems to be deep in thought. I think that with a little more time, he is going to become one of the most human-oriented rats in the group.

Sebastian (Black) - Oh my little Sebastian… I'm still working on figuring him out. Super smart, kind of human-like, shy sometimes, bold and outgoing other times….but has a thing for fingers. It's not aggression or fear-based, but seems like more of a finger envy sort of thing. Like he wants to bite my finger off so he can have one of his own? I dunno, but we're working on it. Max and Elliot's brother. Major cuddle potential once we get past the finger thing!

FullSizeRender.jpg
Sebastian, Sophie, Henry, Elliot, and Charlotte in the middle

IMG_2550.JPG
Max, Sebastian, and Charlotte

IMG_2468.JPG
Henry, Charlotte, and Sophie (does anyone else have rats who group themselves by colour? At first I thought it was a coincidence, but it happens all the time!)

IMG_2533.JPG
Elliot, Amelia, Max, Henry, Sophie, and Charlotte hidden in the back (see what I mean about the colour grouping? All the time.)

FullSizeRender.jpg
Sophie's full litter when they were a few weeks old, with a view of Amelia's rat silhouette.

It's so much fun to watch all of their interactions and their intricate little relationships, and also to see how well Max, Elliot and Sebastian have integrated with Sophie and her family - they just immediately accepted each other and have been cuddled up and caring for each other ever since :)

Looking forward to sharing more rat tales in the future and reading about yours!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wow what a cute lil bunch you've got there!

Oh your Sophie looks like my old girl Sophie! Same coloring, same name. Ugh I miss her! She was also "Mama Rat" because we adopted her and her two babies.

Good luck with them all! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone :) PaigeRose - I'm so sorry to hear about your Sophie :( She was so lucky to have you and to be able to stay with two of her babies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts