Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted before about this fiasco of me getting "rat bite fever" from my babies. I'm getting better and I refuse to get rid of my babies. Anyway, I have two boys......... now I have three.
So, I'm walking toward my friends dorm on campus to get my key from her because I was gone all weekend and she was looking after my boys. I see this girl by some bushes standing looking down at this like, plastic storage container, open. I look in the container and it was the sweetest little black hooded boy. I asked her if it was her pet rat, and she said that her room mate bought it to feed to her snakes but her snake wouldn't eat it so they had it for like a month and were sick of it so they were just going to let it go. I told her I had two pet rats and she begged me to take it. So I did. He looks pretty young, maybe like three or four months. But then again I'm not sure how old he is because the only thing they were feeding him was saltine crackers. And this was for an ENTIRE month. I can't believe the poor guy is still alive!!! So, they were keeping him on pine. And he smells god awful of poo. She got him as a feeder from some wierd pet store I have never heard of. Should I keep him and risk the fact that he might be sick? Or do you think I should just give him to the SPCA? He is adorable, but I don't want him to be sick. I've already spent so much on vet bills for my two boys. But at the same time I want to keep him to give him what I know will be a loving home. I can't imagine how terrified he must have been. This girl has two HUGE snakes. I mean, gigantic. This guy must have been so afraid, and now he is malnourished. Ugh, I feel so bad for him I want to cry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow! That is an amazing story. That is such a hard decision. I really would hate to give you any advice, when I don't know what I would do about it.

It seems like it was fate for you to find this little guy, whether that means raising him, or putting him down, I don't know. I would give it a little bit more time though. You should definitely keep him away from your rats for now. And a check up in a vet is mandatory. If the vet says he is really sick, then you should probably put him down. I just don't know. Let me us what you are thinking after a vet checks him.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i would keep him and see if your friend (who was looking after your boys while you were away) could have him during the quarantine period. but first, yes, take him to the vet for a checkup.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
QT him as well as you can. I don't know how certain you can be that he hasn't come into contact with any infected rats while at his old '****'.

A vet check up sounds like a good idea. It won't hurt to at least make the vet aware that these things ARE going on in your area. You'll be surprised how many horror storys vets hear - and my vet has personally reported abuse to the RSPCA regarding a pet shop - so many animals come in sick from there. He always asks where small animals are purchased and asks me about conditions at my local shop etc.

Sounds like this little kid was meant to find you - how lucky could he be? At least he's in safe hands (even if you can't keep him) for the time being. Poor guy. It sounds like he's a survivor, anyway. It also sounds like that girl, as ignorant as she may have been, had the best intentions possible for the little guy. Considering in her eyes he was destined for the belly of a slithery beasty.

Well found, and good luck. Keep us updated :D I love a good rescue story with a happy ending

Edit: I just thought to add that as he's not used to a proper diet, be careful what you feed him. Anything too rich or that he's not used to may cause an upset tummy and that can't be good. Maybe start him with something simple, like the BRAT diet (used for upset tummies anyway)? Then slowly intro regular rat food into his diet over a few days?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I watched him a lot over night. He seems fairly healthy. I have noticed a little bit of sneezing, but I think it just be due to his new home. Despite the fact that he his healthy, I have thought about it a lot and I don't know if I can keep him. I already have two boys, and I really don't have the money to take care of one more. My cage isn't big enough, it's just barely big enough for two. But, at the same time, I can't stand the thought of him never getting a home at the SPCA. And he has the sweetest little face. I don't know what to do. I'm calling the vet today, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Can you not advertise privately for a home for him? Keep him until you can find someone who can take him, do a thorough check to make sure they are suitable and perhaps make a requirement of rehoming that they already have 1 or more rats they plan to introduce him too?

Good luck with the vets

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ration1802 said:
Can you not advertise privately for a home for him? Keep him until you can find someone who can take him, do a thorough check to make sure they are suitable and perhaps make a requirement of rehoming that they already have 1 or more rats they plan to introduce him too?

Good luck with the vets
Hey, that's not a bad idea

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ask a reporter from your local paper to do this story. They are always looking for stories like this, probably the Sunday edition. In the meantime it's free advertising and you might end up with a new home for him. Make sure you tell them he is up for adoption and let them take his picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts