Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, she is still sneezing alot and her nose is all visibly runny. I got her Friday. Is that normal, or do I need to do something?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would say now its the time to take her to a rat-friendly vet

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would take her to a vet if it doesnt clear up in a couple of days or even sooner. They look really sweet. :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
She may have the new home sneezies, they should abate in a few days or so. Keep an eye out for any other signs of illness. What bedding do you have them on?

Runny stuff is one thing if its clear, but when its red (porphryin) and there's a lot you might have a sick rat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had my rats for 2 weeks now, they are around a 3 months old. When I brought them home they were sneezing quite a bit, and it got a little bit worse after a week, but they are seeming to get better everyday now. I also switched my bedding from Carefresh to Yesterdays News. The rats seem like to like it more than Carefresh, and it also has way less dust.

Hopefully your rats just have the new home sneezies like mine did. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok the bedding is the bedding that petsmart told me to get. As for what type it is, iono. It's dark in here and I'm sick, lol I'm not leavin' my bed.

So far it's clear, just normal nose sniffles, she's living up to her name. ^.^

Iono I was in bed all day yesterday, and all though I can hear them I never got up and looked at them, cept to see if they needed anything.

I hope to god I don't have any allergies to these little guys, this better just be a 24/hour thing. I'll be mad if I have to get rid of my little ones.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Is the bedding possibly pine or cedar shavings? If so, that could be what's causing the sneezing. Pine and Cedar are toxic to rats, and should never ben used. A good alternative would be Aspen shavings, Carefresh or Yesterday's News.

·
Registered
393 Posts
huntercs said:
ok the bedding is the bedding that petsmart told me to get. As for what type it is, iono. It's dark in here and I'm sick, lol I'm not leavin' my bed.

So far it's clear, just normal nose sniffles, she's living up to her name. ^.^

Iono I was in bed all day yesterday, and all though I can hear them I never got up and looked at them, cept to see if they needed anything.

I hope to god I don't have any allergies to these little guys, this better just be a 24/hour thing. I'll be mad if I have to get rid of my little ones.
You'll definitely want to check the bedding. If it's pine or cedar get them off it asap and chuck the rest. Pine and cedar beddings are softwood beddings and contain phenols which damage the lungs and liver of animals. Some safer alternatives you can pick up would be aspen (another wood bedding but it's hardwood so it's safe), Carefresh, or Yesterday's News (not just any cat litter, some can be dangerous. This one is safe and newspaper based so it works well for rats too.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah it's poofy cotton stuff. Carefresh.

She seems to be getting better. At least she doesn't sneeze when she's sleeping.

·
Registered
393 Posts
huntercs said:
Nah it's poofy cotton stuff. Carefresh.

She seems to be getting better. At least she doesn't sneeze when she's sleeping.

Ah, the grey Carefresh? Yeah, that's fine. Though some people claim it's dusty and bothers their rats or them. I personally never had a problem with it (was a little dusty at times but I didn't notice any problems from it). I'm really glad to hear the little girly is getting better though!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I never had any problems with carefresh & a couple of my rats didn't seem to have problems with it but one of my girls would sneeze to the point of falling over. I had her on it for about 3 litter changes before I noticed that her sneezing was worse while on fresh bedding & then about the time it would calm down, it was time to clean the cage again & the sneezing cycle would repeat.

We use Aspen now with no problems. If I ever have any problems with Aspen I will change to Yesterday's News.

FYI... many large feed stores carry the Aspen in huge packages for a fraction of the cost that you will find in the pet stores. I buy Harlan Teklad Aspen Bedding, the 4.38 cu ft bag less than $15... the tiny ones in the pet stores run around $20 to $25. There are other brands out there as well. I saw an Aspen bedding that was flat & curly but I don't know the makers of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts