Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had 3 girls yesterday but one looks like she has a rat her large tummy& im convinced she is pregnant. she is only 8 weeks old herself. comparing her tummy to her sisters she is massive. I will try to get a photo later on today

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
She'd be hard-pressed to be pregnant at 8 weeks and showing -- rats JUST come sexually active at 5ish weeks (generally, 6 weeks +), and are pregnant for 3 weeks (and only usually "show" mid-to late week 2). Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She could be just chunky but it's just her tummy that is a bit big like. I really hope she isn't she's too young :-( and thank you

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I really hope so, I don't want her to be pregnant, I've had her a day and she is just too young :-( my little baba

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she's just chubby. My girl Beatrice has looked like that since I got her haha. It's kinda scary when you first notice it.
I really hope so, tbh when I saw her I didn't notice her tummy til I got her home. and I pooped myself because I thought oh no she's pregnant. really scary

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well she is going for a free check up at the vets today, I'll keep everyone updated. just want to make sure everything's alright with her.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vets didn't make any difference. still don't know what's happening. The vet said she looks pregnant but he doesn't want to feel her tummy just in case she is. But he also said she is too young. just gonna have to wait and see.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well at least the check up was free! Would suck if you had to pay for a "*shrug* dunno"

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I know yeah! well best outcome was that she is very healthy lol :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
She doesn't exactly look "pregnant" to me. However, if she was housed with males, it's possible.

She actually looks "older" than 8 weeks old. Just going by her size. Females don't grow as fast as males and she seems pretty big to be 8 weeks old.

Not sure if you got her from a pet store or breeder. If she came from a breeder, she's just big for her age. Females from breeder tend to be larger and healthier. If she came from a pet store, she's probable older than 8 weeks.

If she came from a reputable breeder, chances are, she's not pregnant.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She doesn't exactly look "pregnant" to me. However, if she was housed with males, it's possible.

She actually looks "older" than 8 weeks old. Just going by her size. Females don't grow as fast as males and she seems pretty big to be 8 weeks old.

Not sure if you got her from a pet store or breeder. If she came from a breeder, she's just big for her age. Females from breeder tend to be larger and healthier. If she came from a pet store, she's probable older than 8 weeks.

If she came from a reputable breeder, chances are, she's not pregnant.
Thanks for your reply, she is from a pet store, pets at home (uk). and she came with another female whom is smaller than she is. and I'm not sure whether she was at any time with males. I just saw that her tummy was round and automatically assumed the worst. I'll attach a photo of the female they claimed to be her sister.& how old would you say she is?

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
OK,
The one that's suppose to be her "sister".... She's looks like a standard ear rat. The other one, that you think is pregnant looks like a dumbo rat.

Personally, they could be, but I don't believe they're "sisters". Sometimes Dumbos have more "roundness" to their bodies.

Unfortunately, in the last pictures you posted..... I think there's a possibility she "is" pregnant. Dumbo rats are "on the round side", but not that round. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Just make sure you have an extra cage, just in case.

It's hard to tell age from pictures. I was going by the size difference, in your first pictures, and they don't look to be the same age. There seems to be a bigger size difference than you'd see in siblings.

One more thing. If she is pregnant, then there's a higher chance your other girl is too. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK,
The one that's suppose to be her "sister".... She's looks like a standard ear rat. The other one, that you think is pregnant looks like a dumbo rat.

Personally, they could be, but I don't believe they're "sisters". Sometimes Dumbos have more "roundness" to their bodies.

Unfortunately, in the last pictures you posted..... I think there's a possibility she "is" pregnant. Dumbo rats are "on the round side", but not that round. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Just make sure you have an extra cage, just in case.

It's hard to tell age from pictures. I was going by the size difference, in your first pictures, and they don't look to be the same age. There seems to be a bigger size difference than you'd see in siblings.

One more thing. If she is pregnant, then there's a higher chance your other girl is too.
well that's what I thought, because they're both different in the ear department. but then pet stores are going to just throw them together aren't they.
They get on really well so that's all that matters to me but I really hope no one is pregnant lol

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
My litter (standard ear x standard ear) was predominantly dumbo, but has standard as well.

As to age, we would need a clear reference photo with something establishing size - pop can or something.

I can't really tell if she is fat or if it is her angle. To best determine pregnancy, get a photo of her standing up or from head-on (or preferably both).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts