Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats is ok to use rabbit pellets as bedding for rats and small animals.. is that an ok idea i mean it doesnt have dust and if they want to eat it.. its ok too ? what you all think?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Lots of people use rabbit pellets as a cheap alternative to Yesterday's News. Just be prepared for it to crumble to dust and you had better like the smell. L(

I lucked out and found a YN knockoff at PetValu in Canada.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its alot better then aspen bedding ill tell you that much

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
We use it in our litter boxes. I, personally, love it, as I found some stuff in my YN that certainly didn't belong there and can't support the company on a personal level. You do have to like the scent of alfalfa, though. ;)

If they nibble on it, it won't hurt them. Rats *can* eat alfalfa, they just don't get any thing from it and really don't like it much. Most rats will take a nibble and be done with thinking it's food. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use rabbit pellets for both of my cages---I love the rabbit pellets because they are so much easier to use and a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you talking about rabbit pellets... as in rabbit food? Isn't that stuff kind of smelly and messy to use for bedding? Just curious.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it dont smell.. it has a sweet smell to it.. it's working fine

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cool. I may have to try that. I switched from Care Fresh to fleece, because the Care Fresh made them sneeze so much. The fleece works well, but it has to be changed too often, so I was thinking about switching to aspen... but maybe I'll give the rabbit pellets a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts