Rat Forum banner

Ok to eat?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Star 
#1 ·
I'm alittle at lost here, I got this "edible" stump for my rat for Christmas but I'm not quite sure if its edible, it says its for all rodents/small animals but when I look on the ingrediants it has pine wood shavings in it and I know it is poisonous to rats in bedding form so I'm not sure to trust the packaging or my small knowledge of rats.

#3 ·
pine bedding is not poisonous to rats. the aromas coming from some can cause respiratory problems, but its not poisonous. If you use pine bedding its best to use kiln dried. If it is sold in the store and says its for rats it is most likely safe or they couldn't sell it. What is the brand and name of the product? I can look it up and see what it is for sure.

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't think ingesting pine shavings is the problem, it is inhaling the phenols. I've seen those snack shacks before. Even if the pine shavings have phenols in them still, it should be okay because the fumes from the oils can't escape. You shouldn't have a problem.

Certainly, keep an eye on your rats and if they show any sign of illness, remove the shack immediately, just in case, but otherwise, they should be okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.