Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls have lice.. they've had them since we brought them home from that awful pet store, but I didn't realize it was lice until I saw one of the red dots on their skin move a couple days ago. Anyways, today we took Dust to the vet to check out the wheezing sound coming from her lungs (We have to call the pharmacy tomorrow to get some Baytril for her, as the vet didn't have any on-hand for us today.) and they also checked out the red dots, and let us look at the lice through a microscope. Disgusting little vermin! :evil:

Anyways, they gave us some Invermectin to give the girls every 7 days, and told us to throw away the wooden toys in their cage. I didn't think to ask this while we were at the vet's, but would it work just as well if I freeze the toys? I don't really mind throwing away some things, but I really don't want to part with the wooden ladders. They were expensive, as was the wooden hut in the bottom of their cage. :(

I figure if freezing bedding kills off all the bugs that might be lurking inside, why wouldn't freezing the wooden things?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that freezing them would be fine. I'd do it for at least a few days though - make sure the entire thing gets really cold. If you have a large standing freezer put them in there since they tend to be colder than the freezers attached to fridges.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately we do have a large standing freezer. :)
A few days? Ok. I should put them back then.. We froze the toys for 24 hours, but if that's not enough we'll put them back in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts