Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Feed them a proper diet and they won't need them anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You should never, ever put anything in your animal's water. It can make it distasteful and the animal might drink less (or no) water because of it.

If they're on a proper diet with lots of fresh foods and healthy treats, they're getting everything they could possibly need or take in. Supplementing an animal that already has everything it needs is... well, a waste of money, and can honestly harm an animal more than help it.

Along with that, there are no vitamins specifically made for rats. The two links in this thread are generalized products for numerous animals. The differences in dietary necessities amongst rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, and rabbits is extraordinary. Any food or "vitamin/supplement" marketed toward numerous animals like that should be avoided at all costs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
your rats will drink water if they are thirsty, i wouldn't worry about them going off their water cuz it tastes bad. i know this isn't the exact same case, but studies on self-medication show that rats that have arthritic pain will drink the nastiest-tasting water if it makes their leg feel better, even when given a choice of fresh clean water. just fyi. :D

but i agree that if you feed them lab blocks, fresh fruits and veggies, and whatever other healthy treats you have lying around, they shouldn't need supplements.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's different, though. They likely won't notice any benefits from the nasty-tasting water and may refuse to drink long enough to do themselves a poor turn. Or drink very little.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts